• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

EV charging surprise?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
EVs make lots of sense for a second car. Like a big golf cart with a roof. Many Teslas around here though. Not so many other EVs. Long haul? Forget it for now. When you can drive all day and charge 100% overnight, they'll make sense. Maybe a booster shot along the way while you have lunch might work as well. Imagine where we'd be if Henry Ford hadn't made the Model T but instead, we developed e-car technology. Or maybe not. Want to make a lot of money? Come up with an EV that ticks all the boxes and sells for less than $20K. Keep your eyes on China.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
EVs make lots of sense for a second car. Like a big golf cart with a roof. Many Teslas around here though. Not so many other EVs. Long haul? Forget it for now. When you can drive all day and charge 100% overnight, they'll make sense. Maybe a booster shot along the way while you have lunch might work as well. Imagine where we'd be if Henry Ford hadn't made the Model T but instead, we developed e-car technology. Or maybe not. Want to make a lot of money? Come up with an EV that ticks all the boxes and sells for less than $20K. Keep your eyes on China.
Precisely - and given that the average trip distance (globally) is 15km at 30 kmph. If just urban drivers. I suspect we will see it more and more with driveshare services.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
EVs will be like a lot of things when it comes to longevity.

I have my Fathers watch that he got as an engagement present from my Mother. They were married in 1946 and the watch still works. Several new leather bands later and a few cleanings.
<snip>
David
I inherited my paternal grandfather's gold Lord Elgin watch. It will be 75 years old this year. Inscribed to my Grand dad from my grandmother 12-25-46. I've had it cleaned maybe twice in my lifetime. It still runs great and keeps fairly accurate time.

IMG_2945.jpg

Country flag
And they may work best in southern regions where the batteries don't have to deal with zero degree winter days. I'd assume that most business parking lots won't have a charger for every stall so that if it sets out there in that weather 10 hours a day or night it is still charged when you want to leave. And that doesn't take into account how may may forget to plug in when the arrive at work.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The EV-1 came out in 1996. I think it had a range of 30 miles. Check out what is possible after only 25 years.

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
There are many here in Fairfield County. We are in the New York City metropolitan area and there are a lot of rich folks hereabouts (not me). Teslas are a dime a dozen. Don't forget the Sports Car Club of America was started right here in Westport and back in the '50s, the roads were full of LBCs and Porsches.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - there was a time when small airports all over the USA were full of people learning to fly. Hardly anyone can afford the lessons now ($150/hr), insurance of $300/month if you own a small plane, etc.

The times, they are a-changing.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe so, but AOPA reported a near-record year for General Aviation in 2020. People were flying private to avoid the airlines. When I last flew back in the '80s and '90s, Archers and Warriors were renting for about $72/hour including fuel. Now, Warriors are renting for $109/hour and an Archer at 3-Wing where I flew goes for $159/hour. The Club always had almost a dozen planes but now apparently is down to 3 or 4 Warriors and one Archer. The ones I flew are gone. Yearly dues are $799.00 which includes insurance coverage. Flying was never cheap but somehow a lot of people with modest incomes were able to get their tickets and get up at least once a month.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I thought y'all only used horse drawn carriages.

Hey - you young'ns have horses and carriages. Us more experienced folk use oxen and carts ...

Oxcart.jpg

Heading to town for factory-made shoes.
For the oxen.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So when the automobile first started showing up on the roads of Americas 110 years the people said
Why would you drive one of those if there are no places to get gasoline for it
Your same analogy

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom, on the way back home yesterday I stopped for fuel on the Merritt Parkway. They had 4 or 5 Tesla charging stations.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Elliot. Were any of them in use?
Not a one. I assume that if youโ€™re driving an EV other than Tesla then those stations wonโ€™t work for you.