• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Ethanol free gas

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Paul - here's a 1960s memory for you. Note the take-off on "The Bridge over the River Kwai" (Colonel Bogey) theme.

Wow, brings back memories. I remember trying to rationalize with my friends that gas would never go over $.999 per gallon because that was as high as the mechanical pumps could register.

Boy were we wrong!?!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
For a time there, the local stations would charge twice what the pump read; for that very reason.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
So the consensus seems to be run Pure gas if possible but it is not a deal breaker if you have to run corn mix. I can get pure gas locally but it is almost $1.00 more a gallon.

What about lead additives in the tank?

David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What about lead additives in the tank?
Usually not necessary; dubious benefit even when they are. IMO it's better to save the money you would have spent on additives, and replace the exhaust seats.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I hadn't given it much thought until last year when I purchase a new zero-turn Toro lawn mower and the instructions said do not use gas with ethanol in it. It is more expensive here.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I recently tried ethanol-free gas in my TR6. I believe it was 91 octane. The engine did not like it; lots of post ignition after shutting it off. Went back to 93 octane ethanol fuel and no more post ignition problems.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Elliot:
I'm not surprised; I haven't put the ethanol-free gas in any of my cars. Years ago I took my TR3 to the VTR at Breckenridge. I had side-draft webers on it and took the leanest jets with me for the carbs. It still ran pretty rich. The air was pretty thin up there. I figured if I switched the type of fuel I was using I would probably have to make adjustments on my older cars and didn't want to mess with it. Sure works good on my mower.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Hi John - where in Texas did you find your ethanol-free gas?

You can find it outside of the large cities, at least 50 miles. In the smaller towns many stations advertise it. I've bought it in Granbury, Bridgeport, Decatur, to name a few. It's too far to make a drive just for the ethanol free...I guess unless you want to bring a barrel home in your pickup?!?

tr6Tom

Freshman Member
Country flag
No doubt ethanol free is better and for those of you who want to find ethanol free gas go the app store and search on "puregas" and an app will come up to help you locate a station in any state. Keep that on your phone for travels.
Or go this this link on your pc https://www.pure-gas.org/
This works in Canada as well.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Of course, there might be something to be said for burning American corn instead of Arab petroleum.
In any case, its illegal to use ethanol-free on public roads in California. You can buy it, but generally it hasn't been taxed for road use either, which can earn some serious trouble if you get caught.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
We’ve gone almost exclusively domestic for petroleum...good ole’ Texas oil, Hoss! Now it’s the fracking earthquakes and ground water contamination we have to deal with in the central US.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No doubt its getting better, but we still imported over 3.5 Billion barrels of oil last year.
Granted, a relatively small portion of what we used (about 10%), but still a significant slice of our trade imbalance and so on.
And part of the reason it's as low as it is, is because most folks are burning gasohol.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, after you count the oil we export...that number comes down to 884 million barrels for 2018! Gasohol helps emissions, but every car I have switched to 10% gasohol gets at least 10% worse mileage. That’s like a wash for fuel burn. I would attribute the lower usage to higher mileage cars, LED lighting and other efficiency increases in products, Tesla...while production of energy increased with fracking, windmills, and solar panels.