• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Envirosafe R134a replacement refrigerant

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I recall Timex doing a whole series of commercials with "Well, it worked in rehearsal."

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bit of a difference between all these scenarios. Tractor was designed for propane, either originally or the equipment to make it to. Shut off when power killed, regulators, all that, hoses designed for the purpose (and I have work of propane vehicles).
Refrigerators/freezers generally (but not always) used in fairly spark free environments, and usually no hoses, sealed compressors, all that.

Add propane/butane to under bonnet installations could be a big issue.
I've done a lot of A/C work over the decades on motor vehicles.

Compressor shaft seals leak. Hoses leak. Banjo fittings leak. Schraeder valves leak. Condensors leak. Evaporators leak.

The only good thing is the limited quantity in the system.

Boom.

:iagree:

R-12 was bad enough if exposed to fire/flame, 134a is certainly more benign. Flourine/carbon/hydrogen is certainly less likely to dramatically flash off if exposed to fire/flame compared to propane/butane. I'll stick to the tetraflouroethane compound, it works fine. Leaks in cooling systems in vehicles are inevitable. Vibration, constant cycling, changing ambient conditions... And like TOC, I've chased and seen too many to count.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Little tidbit,

ENVIRO-SAFE is an "ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE" organic,non-toxic, non-ozone depleting

hydrocarbon compound. ENVIRO-SAFE is a hydrocarbon refrigerant which has been endorsed
by Greenpeace and is in full compliance with the UN Montreal Protocol.Like most organic
materials ENVIRO-SAFE is flammable, but its ignition temperature is 1585ยบF at both 5 psi and 0
psi(which is better than the DuPont R-134a's ignition temperature of 368ยบF at 5 psi and 1411ยบF
at 0 psi). Nevertheless, a pine odor has been added to the product so that any leak in a
refrigeration system can be readily detected. To locate the precise origin of aleak, it is
recommended that a hydrocarbon detector be utilized. Most mid and higher priced
conventional leak detectors will detect hydrocarbon refrigerants. In the alternative, either soap
bubbles or ENVIRO-SAFE DYE CHARGE can be used. ENVIRO-SAFE DYE CHARGE is both
visually detectable and responsive to black light. In a safety study, the prestigious Arthur D.
Little scientists concluded that hydrocarbon refrigerants pose no significant increased risk or
hazard over freon. (copy of report available at cost of US$5.00)

Now, it's in the tractor and is supposed to put out cooler air, but in my tractor the cooling air temp is about the same as the R-134a. Haven't measured it with a meter. PJ

D

Deleted member 8987

endorsed by Greenpeace and is in full compliance with the UN Montreal Protocol.

Makes me feel SO much better.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, I'm half-convinced... I'll try it in the neighbor's car first. :smirk:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Yesterday I had the tractor out and gave the AC system a run for a while and the air at the vents was 40 degrees. I never measured the 134 temp, but to me it feels about the same. I didn't have to change the oil, which was a surprise, but all the 134 has to come out. Initial charge was to the high pressure side, after pressure came up to 50lbs, I shut the high pressure side off and completed filling the system through the low pressure side. Little different charging than 134 as the EV Safe they recommend to just turn the can or container upside down and go with it. It has a unique smell, it smells like green apples! :highly_amused: The AC system in the tractor is a little different than one in a car or truck, it's in the roof and over rough ground it gets a lot of abuse and very susceptible to developing leaks, reason this whole scenario came about. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Makes perfect sense, Rick. Dedicated recovery equipment ain't cheap!