• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Swap: 3000 Engine Into a BN1

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Since I have been posting my plans to do an engine swap into a 100-4, I thought I would share some of my other engine swaps to prove my bona fides. A '65 401 Buick into a '54 Jaguar MK VII. A '95 Ford 351W into a '72 Mercedes 300SEL. A '79 Datsun (Nissan) 280Z motor into a '60 Austin Healey 3000.
My plan right now is to put a 3000 engine into the 100-4, ala BN3.
Here's a photo of my Datsun Healey engine bay.

Attachments

• 2021-06-28 16.01.46.jpg
    2021-06-28 16.01.46.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 200
OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Update. I'm not going to put a 3000 engine into a 100/4. It was pointed out to me that the shorter wheelbase 100/4 - compared to the 6 cylinder cars - would result in a bad handling situation. I have to agree.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm no hexpert on engine swaps, but I think a Ford 289/302 would be a good fit. Lots of aftermarket support.
The late Kent Lacy did a very nice Ford 289 swap into his 100M (yes, a factory M without a motor): > 1956 Austin-Healey 100M (MOSTLYREAL) : Registry : The MG Experience < It was his help that I put the 5.0L Ford in my BJ7 and I think I still have his saddle engine mount plans in my files somewhere if you decide to go that route. My motor puts out 345 crank horsepower and it makes for a very entertaining ride in a Healey and the 5 speed box makes cruising effortless. I'd do the swap again in a heartbeat

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A Ford V8 is certainly a better choice than a Chevy V8. I hate having a distributor at the firewall. My main concern with installing a V8 is cutting the footwells and the intense heat. I only know what I have heard from others about that. Would a custom made set of headers avoid that problem? If so, I would definitely look at the Ford option.
Some quick research tells me that a 289/302 might weight around 460 lbs. I assume that is with iron heads. Is that more weight, or less, than the stock Austin 4 cyl?

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The newer, 'Coyote' 302ci engines are all-aluminum and the block may actually be lighter (but the DOHC heads are MASSIVE). However ...

BullittEngine.JPG

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sorry. I would never put THAT in a Healey!!!!!

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Been doing some more analyzing. The V8 configuration of an engine puts the back end of the exhaust manifold right down there where the foot wells are. I don't think custom headers can solve the problem.
With the upright configuration of an inline 4 or 6, the exhaust manifold/headers do not interfere with the foot wells.
I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Richard--

If you are determined to not use a V-8, and I can certainly understand that decision, why not consider one of the SOHC Japanese engines that have been stuffed into 6-cylinder Healeys. They would look appropriate and are definitely an advancement over a Healey OHV engine?

Best--Michael Oritt

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The V8 configuration of an engine puts the back end of the exhaust manifold right down there where the foot wells are. I don't think custom headers can solve the problem.
Just leave the headers or manifold off. Save some weight and coin.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Been doing some more analyzing. The V8 configuration of an engine puts the back end of the exhaust manifold right down there where the foot wells are. I don't think custom headers can solve the problem.
With the upright configuration of an inline 4 or 6, the exhaust manifold/headers do not interfere with the foot wells.
I guess it's back to the drawing board.
I thought I saw somewhere that if you switch the exhaust manifolds from side to side, the outlets are at the front and the exhaust can be routed away from the foot wells.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
How about the Mustang ecotec engine ? 2.3 litre , 4 cylinder. Sounds like it was made for it ! !
I think the Ecotecs are turbo'd. My GF has a 1.5L Fusion Ecotec--I think it's a 3-cyl--and it has adequate power. But ... the 4-cyl Ecoboost in some new Mustangs has 330HP! Doubt you'd find one in a junkyard, though you never know given the way people drive Mustangs.

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm thinking about how it looks. I want an engine in my BN1 that has components that I can recognize and identify.... like carburetors, not a mess of plastic covers, hoses, wires, tubes and other unrecognizable stuff. You can put that Coyote engine in your Healey!

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Simmer down, y'all. I posted the photo of my Coyote just to show how preposterous a swap it would be (although Coyote crate engines don't appear to have as much crap, but may not be smog-legal). Besides, with two huge DOHC heads it wouldn't fit in a Healey, no way no how (well, maybe in a 4000).

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Speaking of heat control, I have many times mentioned my fondness for Lizard Skin heat and sound deadening. I sprayed the whole cock pit area in my BJ7 and after about 40,000 miles I have never had a hot foot or felt uncomfortable heat while driving. Maybe it would be enough to make that 289 comfortable.