• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

End of an Era...

swift6

Yoda
So after some soul searching and coming to terms with reality I have decided to sell my TR6. I was advertising it locally and found a local buyer. She is now living in a very Posh Denver neighborhood.

A major part of deciding to sell my TR6 was the realization that the permanency of my back injury was really interfering with the ability to enjoy driving my TR6. After 45 minutes, my back would be wrecked for the next three days. I tried multiple solutions and it just seems that it was the seating position more than anything else that was causing the issues with my back. I can still drive my TR8 all day long with no issues and the suspension on it is equally as stiff as my TR6.

It was a 20 year affair starting when I was about to turn 19 years old.
MeandJosephine.jpg

EarlyEngineBay.jpg

P3060003.jpg

P8080004.jpg

My step dad has a '71 TR6 that has been lingering in one of his outbuildings. Now he is getting a hankering for me to work my magic on it. Still have my TR8 to enjoy as well so I am still involved in the Triumph world at large. The new owner didn't want all of my extras that I had amassed over the years so I might be offering those up at some time too.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Sad the hear Shawn, but glad she is going somewhere she'll be cared for. An amazing car, but then again you still have an amazing TR8!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shawn,

In a way,I understand - but another part ofme
felt that you'd always have this car.I'm sure you didn't
rush into this decision.Beautiful car.

- Doug

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm in a similar situation, deciding to let my TR8 go, so I can finish one of Tony Barnhill's projects. Never thought I'd sell, but it's time.

R

RonMacPherson

Shawn, you're still young. If I were you, I would do all that I can to relieve myself of the pain.. Had a compression problem with a couple vertebrae going over the handles of a Trials bike back when I was about your age..

Have you tried spinal decompression therapy, yet?? I am told by a chiropractor friend, that those of his patients who do, do not regret their decision....

All you got to lose is pain.,..

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
It's tough letting go.
I've never had a car that long, Shawn, but I can imagine.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Shawn,

Sorry to hear that conditions put you in a position where you had to sell it after such a long time and all the very apparent work that you put into it. I also got my first Triumph when I was 18 and I could not imagine selling it after 30+ years even though it's been sitting for the last 20 waiting patiently for (it's second) restoration.

Scott

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Shawn,

I sure hope that you're planning to stick around. The car was great, but we'd miss you a lot more than the car. At least I know that I would. You gave me a lot of good advice over the past few years and were always a great sounding board for ideas.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I must second Mr. Rego's sentiments, Shawn. Don't you DARE leave us for th' frivolous notion th' sale of a well restored LBC is exorcism!!!

OP
swift6

swift6

Yoda
It took about five years to really come to the decision. The last nine months was the serious realization of it. For the first year after the accident I could barely sit in the car. Four years after that and I can sit in it just fine, but anything longer than 45 minutes and I'm a wreck for the next three days. I used to visit my dad when he lived in Moran Wyoming on a spur of the moment long weekend. That is a 434 mile drive, one way. If my dad still lived there I could make that trip in my TR8 tomorrow, but in the TR6 I would barely be able to reach the state line to Wyoming let alone drive to the North West corner.

No compression issues or fractures in my spine. Just serious soft tissue damage. Everything from my sacrum to the base of my skull was knocked out of whack. My GP looked at the X-rays and actually prescribed a chiropractor. The insurance company of the kid who rear ended me was not too pleased with that prescription. When the Chiropractor looked at my X-rays they wondered how i had been able to walk into their office without heavy medication and simply say that I felt uncomfortable. I told them that it was merely uncomfortable compared to riding across the Baja Peninsula in a Jeep Wrangler, on four wheel drive trails, with a fully dislocated shoulder, trying to make good time to get me to a clinic in Cabo San Lucas (this was pre Van Halen invasion Cabo San Lucas). Now THAT was some serious pain.

For a long time I believed that I would always have my TR6. Truth be told, I hated to see it just sit there or only do really short drives. Felt I was doing a dis-service to the car by just keeping it the garage and suffering through an hour and a half drive each way once every other year to win a few ribbons at a peoples choice car show. ( I used to alternate the TR6 and the TR8 to the local big British car show. ) So I interviewed new owners as much as they were inspecting a possible purchase. The new owner is super excited about the car and has promised me visitation rights whenever I feel like it.

I'm not leaving the BCF. I still have my TR8 and am way to used to hanging out here. No worries there fellas.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Shawn-

Obviously not a rushed decision, and obviously not an easy one. Good to hear that the buyers were being inspected more than the car to make sure they were worthy. I just hope that the new owner keeps the car in the area, and keeps it in as nice a shape as you did. I had been wanting to see it for myself if I actually make it to the VTR next year.

Randy

V

vagt6

Shawn, what a bummer about your back problems. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out if you behave and do what the physicians say.

It's always hard to give upthese cars after pouring so much time, money and love into them. Literally, I can remember the exact moment, and my thoughts, as I took a last look and walked away from specific LBCs over the years.

Just reminds us that we're just the temporary safekeepers of the car: there's practically always going to be a next owner.

And if we're careful, we won't be the "DPO". :lol:

Country flag
Shawn,

I can relate to your back issues. My wife had a skydiving accident that left her in chronic pain. They wanted to cut but she said no way. She explored a variety of options but the thing that got her back on her feet was when she learned about Feldenkrais. It changed her life. I can PM you with more details, etc.