• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ellis Island

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I traced mine back to Lithuanian horse thieves.

I think many folks who search their ancestry hope for some famous person in their background, but most likely most will be disappointed. In my case, I found both my grandmothers had children out of wedlock after their husbands died. That was never mentioned at Thanksgiving dinner. I now wonder whether it was such a big secret in each family that my mother and father never told each other of their step-siblings. I, too, am 50% Lithuanian through my Mom's side and I'm afraid to go back that far to find out what lurks back in the old country.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I did find out, but forgot :rolleyes2: , that our last name was changed sometime in the distant past from Jenings to Jennings. Also that there is some German influence in Germany Way back, I think before clocks were invented! :highly_amused:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I learned that my family fled a region of Austria which today is in the Ukraine. Having fled the Nazi's they ended up in NYC. I did find a hand drawn map from the village that my grandparents came from listing the blacksmith's shop with my family name on it.
When my grandfather got off the boat in NYC he became a window washer and when he died he owned his own sizable window washing business.