• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Electrical Problem

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
PD-On second thought, it looks like the connection at the fuse box is the prime suspect. Try disconnecting the 2 green wires and run a jumper wire directly to the battery. At least this can be done without crawling under the dash.
Berry
I ran a test light from both sides of the fuse box to the negative battery terminal and the lamp lit. I assume that meant there's power in and out of the fuse box and the break in the circuit is under the dash at the connector. If there's no break...I guess its a missing ground. My problem has always been knowing what to do but not knowing how. Try following computer instructions...

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
PD-Please send me a private message with your email address. I still think there is a problem with the fuse box.
Berry

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Here's the answer. I had to move the car to make way for the lawn tractor to cut the grass. I started the car - the gas gauge went to 1/2, the wipers, washer, direction signals all worked - like nothing had ever happened. I think Titanic was right - it was the fuse box all along. Randy said he did nothing to cause a wire to break loose and there were no wires hanging down under the dash that weren't there before. I think corrosion on the lugs was the culprit. After mowing the lawn, I'll file the contacts to remove all corrosion. As I learned many years ago with car problems, 98% of the time, it's a little stupid thing that's causing the problem - a loose wire, dead fuse - something cheap. It's the rare 2% that'll get you $$$. Check the obvious before tearing things apart. The only thing I can't figure out is why when I turned the key on (but never tried to start the car) - the gas gauge never moved, meaning there was still a dead circuit, even though my test light showed continuity through the fuse box. I once read a book "The Racer" by Hans Reusch. He had a catchphrase "Always the Verdamt Electrischer".

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
PD-The problem I had with the fuse box is that the fuse holders are riveted to the spade wire terminals and corrosion can prevent contact. There will be continuity between the fuse holders (with the fuse in place), but no power to or from the wires. It can cause insanity until the cause is found. The cure is to either replace the fuse box or soak the old in white vinegar to clean it then solder all of the riveted connections.
Berry

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
In messing around with the fusebox, I noticed one of the spade lugs and connected fuse holder was loose. The two others are tight.Could this be a problem? How difficult is it to change the fuse box for either another TR6 fuse box or a 4-lug generic replacement, perhaps more heavy duty? The repair manual is silent. I would just have to make sure the spade lugs were the same width so I don't have to clip off and install new female connectors.