Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
When installing the temp sensor for an electric fan is it best to place it in the head or radiator? I have the 5/8x18 adapter in both and will use one for the fan and the other for the gauge.
Thanks, Rut
Thanks guys! Rick, what parts did you use for the sending unit, control switch, and fan? My local auto parts/machine shop ordered a 'sensor' for me yesterday to check fit and I want to make sure I get the correct one.
Rut
Just for thought, I would consider fitting the temp sensor for the fan in the bottom radiator hose. Recently cooked my son's Datsun pickup using a temp sensor at the top of the radiator. The rad had a small leak that he wasn't aware of and once the radiator coolant level got low the fan didn't run! If the sensor had been in the bottom hose that would not have been a problem. That's where the factory's locate them.
Oh that is absolutely a trick piece. And only $12.00. Why would you want to try and get something to fit and seal in a 50 y.o. + radiator. I'm impressed.
verify that the size will fit the hose for the spridget before ordering, was just pointing out that such a thing is out there. I have a similar item on our BMW 2002.
Those temperature sender adapters are sold by many vendors on eBay in different sizes. I like the part in the link above since the part is black. Most of the eBay parts are either the red or blue anodized coating common on AN fittings. I believe you will find that the tap for the sender is also available in a couple of different sizes.
Keep in the back of your mind that many mechanical temp gauges use 5/8-18 threads. You probably don't want that size for your fan switch since there are not a lot of compression fittings and/or adapters for that size. I anticipate you will want either a hose adapter that is tapped 1/4- or 1/8-NPT depending on the type of fan switch you have.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.