MiamiSprite
Member
Offline
<span style="font-weight: bold">Background</span>:
1962 Sprite. While I have no bubles or holes in my sills, I can feel heavy surface rust inside the sills (hole for jack) and after remving all interior, I can see heavy surface rust when looking into thoe small access holes. Floors are great.
After many hours of reading post, spridget and non-spridget, on the subject of rust, I did not fnd exactly what I was looking for. So I decided to start this post.
I realize there is truly one solution - removal. This is my conclusion after many hours of reaing excellent post, many about TRs, and some on electogadgets/junk.
My situation is that:
1. Very limited budget,
2. Want to keep driving,
3. Rust is mostly surface rust limited to inside of sills - no penetration, and
4. One of the conditions of buying the car was that I would not take it appart and it end up beeing no more that junk taking up garage space.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Options</span>:
For now, I simply want to postpone cutting/replacing metal work so I can maximize driving time. My options are, from simple to unrealistic:
1. Spray waxoyl type material (have recipe from others) in sills using exisitng and new holes.
2. Use hole saw to gain more access so I can use a rust disolver (eastwood or like product), rust converter, rust encapsulator, and maybe paint followed by waxoyl type material.
Both options rsult in new holes, but 2 more than 1.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Questions</span>:
1. Anyone actually try similar options? Outcome? Suggestions? Products?
2. Where are most strategic locations for access holes? Hole Saw,good or bad idea? Pictures?
Thanks!
1962 Sprite. While I have no bubles or holes in my sills, I can feel heavy surface rust inside the sills (hole for jack) and after remving all interior, I can see heavy surface rust when looking into thoe small access holes. Floors are great.
After many hours of reading post, spridget and non-spridget, on the subject of rust, I did not fnd exactly what I was looking for. So I decided to start this post.
I realize there is truly one solution - removal. This is my conclusion after many hours of reaing excellent post, many about TRs, and some on electogadgets/junk.
My situation is that:
1. Very limited budget,
2. Want to keep driving,
3. Rust is mostly surface rust limited to inside of sills - no penetration, and
4. One of the conditions of buying the car was that I would not take it appart and it end up beeing no more that junk taking up garage space.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Options</span>:
For now, I simply want to postpone cutting/replacing metal work so I can maximize driving time. My options are, from simple to unrealistic:
1. Spray waxoyl type material (have recipe from others) in sills using exisitng and new holes.
2. Use hole saw to gain more access so I can use a rust disolver (eastwood or like product), rust converter, rust encapsulator, and maybe paint followed by waxoyl type material.
Both options rsult in new holes, but 2 more than 1.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Questions</span>:
1. Anyone actually try similar options? Outcome? Suggestions? Products?
2. Where are most strategic locations for access holes? Hole Saw,good or bad idea? Pictures?
Thanks!
Hey Guest!


