Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I believe that an A-type overdrive transmission uses the same mounting brackets as a non-overdrive transmission and should fit the 74 frame. The J-type is the one that requires the use of a different bracket. Check out buckeyetriumphs.org for a tech article on this that might be of some help. Or, call Dave at the Roadster Factory tech line (814-446-4491) for advice on this.
I guess I was under the impression that '74 tranny mount is different regardless of overdrive or not. Check Rimmer Bros, they have conversion kits. Although I think the kits are to go from early to late (69-72 to 73-76).
TR6Bill, I really appreciated your reference to Buckeye Triumphs (www.buckeyetriumphs.org). I have a 72 GT6 with standard 4 speed. It can't keep up with Interstate traffic with its 3.89 differential.
I bought a 4 speed with A-type overdrive, thinking I would have some major work ahead of me to put it in. I have been putting of this project for that reason. The Buckeye site indicated no modifications were necessary, so now I have no excuse for not getting started.
Thanks. BCF is the best source of information for British cars I have found.
My 74 "J" Type, or the original 4-speed will use the two mounts on each side of the rear with a stud in the center of each. I believe that the earlier models used a one piece mount in the center.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.