• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driving/Owning Comparison between TR3 and AH3000

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
For those of you who have owned both, give me a comparative owning/maintaining/driving experience between a TR3 and an AH3000. I am familiar with and enjoy the TR3 but have always been infatuated with big Healeys. Knowing what they say about meeting your hero's, I would be interested to get a read on the two cars. Retirement is knocking at the door and I need to make a decision.
Thank you.
Steve in Newnan, GA

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well:
What ever decision you make just be sure there is a Healey in it.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well first the easy bit. The Healey is a 100 times better looking and is an icon of design. There are similarities between the cars in that both are ruggedly built with simple mechanicals and the same electrical components. The TR3s were excellent rally cars, like the Big Healeys, in fact they beat the 100-Sixes in several big rallies. In the end it will come down to taste and how much you are prepared to pay. Healeys cost quite a lot more than TR3s. Beauty comes at a price.

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
I've had both and settle with a BJ7 with a BJ8 engine.

my TR3A was a superb car and it had a NOS sway bar, Konis on the front and uprated dampers on the rear. It drove well, it was quite fast, a tad slower than BJ8 and it had the heaviest steering on the planet. Most convert to rack and pinion.

it was a lovely car with the roof down and slightly more waterproof that way. If you're in a TR in the wet, prepared to be drenched, but all said, they're more of a sports car than a Healey, they have better gear ratios and they make a lovely noise. Healey is a touring car IMO and with a smoother engine.

i expect you'd be as happy with either, so it's more what you fancy IMO.

Country flag
... If you're in a TR in the wet, prepared to be drenched, but all said, they're more of a sports car than a Healey, they have better gear ratios and they make a lovely noise. Healey is a touring car IMO and with a smoother engine.

i expect you'd be as happy with either, so it's more what you fancy IMO.

Sounds like a fairer comparison would be a TR3 and a Healey 100. I have both and, yes, the 100 is a sports car and my BJ8 is a better touring car so, obviously, the answer is you need one of each.

No comparison on looks, IMO. I was out breaking my BJ8's new engine in a little, and stopped for a cold one at a dive bar in Oakdale, CA (aka Texas West). The cute young bartendress took a photo of my car--without my permission, but I forgave her--and sent it to all her friends (oh, to be 30 years younger).

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have both cars and they are different. As said above, the original TR3 steers like a beast. Very tough at slow speeds. I put rack and pinion on the car and much nicer. Both do well in the hills, the engines can accelerate up hill in 4th gear. The Healey is smoother, more comfortable and if you are over 6 foot tall, a better fit. IE: my forehead is over the windshield in the TR3. I have taken both cars to a local car show. They both get attention. Maybe the TR3 gets more, but it could be the color! finished kitty.jpg

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I went from a TR3 -- a brute, to a sophisticated good handling, riding, steering MGB. In race trim the MGB could outcorner a racing TR3, but couldn't quite match the power. Then later in life I decided I really wanted an Austin Healey 3000. It is similar in handling to a TR3, but has the look that appeals to me. The 6 cylinder engine is a big plus, but also very "big". I'd say, stick with what you have. It's a personal thing.

Country flag
I have both as well. The TR3 is easier maintained than the Healey. Kinda like a blue collar and white collar rides. I would pick the TR3 first only because it was my first LBC.
Marv

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I too, have both (1959 Austin-Healey 3000 and 1960 TR3A).
Both are unmodified except for the internal engines. Both are roadsters, true sports cars (no wind-up windows, which I don’t care for).

It would not be fair to compare a TR3 with a sports convertible Healey (BJ7 and BJ8). If you want a sports convertible, get a NA Miata. They look as good, if not better, than either the Healey or TR3. They ride better, have air conditioning, get better gas milage, are more reliable, and cost one third as much.

In my opinion, the TR3 handles better than my Healey 3000, even though the TR3 does not have a front sway bar or a rear pan hard rod.

My Healey, because of what I did during the engine rebuild, has slightly more power than my TR3.
The TR3 gets better gas mileage.

Both are great to drive. The TR3 has more wind hitting the driver (I don’t use those sissy wind wing things.)
The TR3 is easier to work on due to the ease of accessing components in the engine compartment, as well as other areas.
The TR3 frame is stronger than the Healey’s frame.

Oh, the TR3 has one of those fancy glove boxes.

If I had to get rid of one of them, I’d keep my1959 Austin-Healey 3000 for a number of reasons, with probably the overriding reason being, I will have owned it for 46 years in September 2017.

OP
M

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I did indeed post the exact same question on the Triumph Forum. I wanted honest opinions from both sides of the fence. Bottom line to me seems to be there is no wrong choice here. Both cars are magnificent and all you who own them are fortunate indeed. Thank you all for sharing your opinions. BTW, I own 2 first generation Miatas so I've got the wind up window, convertible top, air-conditioning cruise control thing down. I truly enjoy the character and driving experience these cars (TR3 and AH) exhibit.