• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Driving Comparison between TR3 and AH3000

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
For those of you who have owned both, give me a comparative owning/maintaining/driving experience between a TR3 and an AH3000. I am familiar with and enjoy the TR3 but have always been infatuated with big Healeys. Knowing what they say about meeting your hero's, I would be interested to get a read on the two cars. Retirement is knocking at the door and I need to make a decision.
Thank you.
Steve in Newnan, GA

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I haven't had either, but my brother had a TR3 for about 25 years or so, I drove it quite a bit and toured in it as well. I had a 100 for ten years. The Healey was a little more refined with a more closed up cockpit, better steering and ride. Engine with my 100 was pretty much a wash. I am sure a six would pull a little better.

Note this is all relative, coming from a Miata or even an MGB you would probably say the opposite about the Healey, they are still rip roaring sports cars. Wider cockpit too.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Drive up in a Big Healey and you feel like you've 'arrived'.

Drive up in a TR3 and you feel like you've 'cheated Death again'.

DougME

Country flag
+1 to that. I've driven TR-3's and the steering on both of my "almost" daily drivers has always been a job. The few Healeys I've had a chance to drive have been even more of a job. I usually describe it as like driving a truck, I've heard others say the same.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I just read and article recently, I will see if I can dig it up at home, but it was a comparison between the MGA/TR3A and Healey. If I recall correctly, based overall engine/performance/handling/ride/comfort etc the MGA was first, TR3A second and the Healey was 3rd.

Will see if I can find it.

Cheers
Tush

OP
M

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Well as far comparing the steering goes, the TR3 I have been lucky enough to work on and drive has the rack unit mod done to it so it is VERY precise. Maybe even more so than my Miatas. I've heard the original steering on the TR3 left something to be desired.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...based overall engine/performance/handling/ride/comfort etc the MGA was first...

I suppose if one gives 'ride & comfort' equal weight as 'engine & performance' then the TR3 may come up short in many comparisons.

The TR3 handling is just what it should be (IMO). But then the assessment may depend on whether you weight 'parallel parking' equally with 'twisty roads'.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I could see putting a cruise control in an AH3000, not so much a TR3.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If you're talking a Mark lll and a TR3..that's almost like apples and oranges.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Everyone knows Triumphs are forged in the fires of Hades, while Healys are for girly men.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Well, here's one difference. On a recent (unpaved) desert/mountain drive we discovered that the Healey has less ground clearance than the TR:

AH3000%20amp%20TR3_zpsncfhg62b.jpg

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've never roasted in a car as much as I did in a 100 6. As for me, you can't beat the cut down doors of a TR3.

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ill say the 3000 is prettier, fussier, poor ground clearance and more expensive to buy/fix/maintain/repair. The TR is rorty, more counter-culture, more exposed to the elements, pure british, and a rugged bulldog. My 2 cents!

Dan

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I've never roasted in a car as much as I did in a 100 6. As for me, you can't beat the cut down doors of a TR3.
Several years ago my brother and I took off from our homes in Nebraska to see the vintage races at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. I was in my 100, my brother and his freind in a TR3. It started off on a hot summer day, by the time we got up to Wisconsin it was dark and cooling off. When we stopped I mentioned I was finally getting comfortable in the Healey, they said they were getting cold in the TR3, and considered putting the top up.

doc50

Jedi Trainee
I've had 5 TR3s, and a couple Healeys. One doesn't so much drive a TR3 as aim it!

Thom
1959 TR3
#TS34909L(O)