• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Drain plug??

nomad

Yoda
Does anyone offer magnetic drain plugs for the diff and trans?

Kurt.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Kurt,
I just stick a small re magnet on the end of the plug...works pretty good.
Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I can get them got the engine, but not seen them for the others. I think if you add a magnet, I would JB Weld it in place first. A rare earth magnet might be more secure.

Does anyone offer magnetic drain plugs for the diff and trans?

Kurt.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Yeah, sticking a small magnet to the plug was considered. Think it would be good to collect the detritus and know how fast it's being produced.

Kurt.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I try to remember to stick a rare earth magnet on both the oil filter and on the drain plug on each of our fleet. Lee Valley Tools has a local shop here, but they also have a mail order facility. I don't know if the magnetst really make a difference, but figure that they are cheap insurance. They're usually still attached for the next oil change; biggest risk is forgetting to take them off the oil filter before disposal and then putting the dang thing down and not being able to find it again. Doug

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Wonder if the bunch'es of refrigerator magnet's we seem to get would do any good stuck on the engine oil filter?

Kurt.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Hey, thanks, Bill!! Looks like I might be able to use a screw to attach one of those to the plug!

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Might check and see if Triumph fits.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Bill's suggested magnets are great. I think I will order a bunch that can be screwed to the plugs. Trust that the most though I imagine just sticking them to the plugs would be good enough.

Kurt.

dklawson

Yoda
I have made magnetic plugs. I take a cylindrical rare earth magnet, measure its diameter, and drill a hole in the plug slightly larger than the magnet. Then I degrease the magnet and the hole and JB Weld the magnet in the hole.

Why do people put magnets on oil filters? Any metal chips that are caught by the filter magnets have already passed through the oil pump and are typically large enough that they would be caught by the paper filter element anyway. Is the goal to catch microscopic particles that are tiny enough to pass through the paper element?

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've dealt with these magnets. I can tell you that if you were to get one of the flat discs that is about the same diameter as the drain plug and either 1/8" or 1/4 inch thick, you'll be hard pressed to simply pull if off. They can be slid off easier, but they aren't going anywhere. If, and that is a BIG IF they came off the drain plug they would stick to the bottom of the oil pan and never leave. If you screw it to the plug, the screw could come loose with the vibration. Then what? Well that screw isn't going anywhere either, but I'd use red locktite anyway.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Good point, Bill, a screw is probably overkill and extra work.

Kurt.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Why do people put magnets on oil filters? Any metal chips that are caught by the filter magnets have already passed through the oil pump and are typically large enough that they would be caught by the paper filter element anyway. Is the goal to catch microscopic particles that are tiny enough to pass through the paper element?[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess (in my case), a combination of wishful thinking, and "why not?": cheap and can't hurt. Plus - since birds migrate based on magnetic fields according to some theories, maybe it'll help me get home? Doug

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I doubt very much that even a strong magnet, placed on the outside of a filter, will create much of a magnetic field inside the can, anyway. As an experiment, you might try putting one on the outside of a tin can and then touch the inside with a screwdriver to see if there is any field there. Bet you'll hardly feel anythng.

And, yes, as I started to read this thread, I also wondered why anyone would do this, even if it does work.

Oh, and thanks for the link to that "Amazing Magnets" site. It may help with other things I'm doing.