• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Door Check Strap

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Several years ago, the threads on the check strap bolt that hold the driver-side door open, wore out. I replaced the bolt with a Grade 8 and a new friction disc. Now the threads are stripped again and I can't tighten the friction enough to hold the door in the open position.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a type of bolt that will last a little longer. It's not a big deal to weld in a new one, but I like to get more than a few years service out of it. Would a fine thread work better?

carlivar

Hmm this must be a common problem. I had the same bolt stripped. Just bought a new check strap assembly from a guy with some other parts on Ebay. I'd be interested in a more permanent fix too though since it sounds like mine will just fail again at some point.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Oh, that's the problem? I guess I assumed since the passenger door stays open, the drivers should also!!!! Of course the passenger bolt is left hand thread so it's already strange.

Country flag
Well then, its the passenger door that not right.
Actually, I've been thorugh this years ago. I replaced the bolt and nut. The trick is not to tighten it too much or you will strip it again. I snapped one once with hardly any torque.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Are you tightening the nut before you install the door strap? (On the bench)

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
These clever items are designed to tighten the nut as the door opens, so that pressure on the friction disc is progressively increased. It's really an ingenious design. I think you would have to experiment with the proper closed position of the nut, then incrementally tighten it one flat at a time until the proper tension is achieved upon opening the door.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Cutlass,
I would do just the opposite. With the door fully open, I’d tighten the nut ‘til it held the door, but wasn’t in danger of stripping the threads. This would be the tightest the nut would get, closing the door would only loosen it.
There would be a small compromise to get the nut lock to fit.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I did exactly what Greg describes last evening when I attached the check straps on my newly installed doors. They work like a charm.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Sounds good. I am just in the process of restoring mine, not ready yet to install them. Isn't it amazing how many parts were used to make this device?

It also seems that, since the nut is designed to turn, a bit of lubrication would contribute to its longevity.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
My pappy used to tell me "Son, there ain't nuthin' you can't do with a Sawzall in yer hands." /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif