• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Door Check Assembly

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I need to replace (or I guess just add) a door check assembly. I see the part in moss (although, I’m ordering the same one on eBay for 1/2 the price) and I only see the door side.

What does the body side attach to?

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
B8FA184A-AAE4-4239-8227-9D1289FA921C.jpg
04A660A5-D78D-4683-817A-B122D0B7953F.jpg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The other side is fixed to the door jamb A post. Art/Matrix 5 made one a while back and it was nice. It is a complicated little piece to make and you would need to probe the old files to find it. Moreover, the fender needs to come off to rivet it or spot/plug weld. There is not much room in there to fit something, but something could be fabricated. That is the only way to get one unless some vender I have not heard of has made some. If you do find one, please post where.

steve

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There is a cut-and-folded steel bracket that goes in the hole you see in the "A" post, fits in from behind the post and is spot welded to the back of the post. None of the major suppliers have them but I think I saw that someone in Australia makes them in his shop. Try to Google that information and you might get lucky.

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Geez I thought I just didn’t know what to call it. Makes more sense that I can’t fins it now.

Any idea what it might be called or have a photo of it? I have a buddy who’s a fabricator and owes me a small favor. Could be worth cashing in on.

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
Just a side warning. I know three guys who were replacing the straps and figured "Its ok to drive the car, I'll remember not to throw the door open. " They all had to replace their doors. Don't trust yourself to remember if you drive the car without a strap. Put on a temp. strap. Leather, shoestring, duct tape, what ever.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I wonder if you couldn't weld a couple of studs to the bracket, then remove the seal plate inside the fender and pull the bracket up to the hole with a length of 'baling' wire. Then use nuts or weld to attach the studs to the A-post. Seems like that would be easier than R&R the fender, but ???

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Steve, I’ve never had one on there, but I feel like I’m playing with Fire.

I had a gust of wind take my hood and completely flip it on to my windshield!! Not even a scratch. I just sat there in awe.

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
Haha I once used the hood of a GT6+ as a sail to jump start a dead battery on the side of the freeway. Got up to about 15 miles per hour under wind power.

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Best to call KAS for best response time. I fabricated mine and it is a tricky part. I formed the flanges first in the brake then folded the rest of the bracket over the correct thicknessmetal then put the holes in the fold after that. Frank

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Just dug around and found the blank for the door strap bracket that spot welds to the A post. I will post pictures tonight when I can get to my computer. Have not figured out how to post photos from my phone. Who needs these brackets? I will consider setting up and making some but it might take a few weeks. The ones I made are a little heavier than original to keep the hole from stretching and breaking. Frank

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Wow Frank that sounds like a lot work, but sign me up and please put me on the waiting list. I actually tacked a washer on the numb of the old one and it might not hold. Anyways, high- altitude the more I think about it, a guy could maybe pop rivet the bracket to the face of the A post if he did not want to burn stuff up welding. My thoughts were the hinges when they close make about a 3/8 or more void in the door assembly when closed-- plus I have seen the bar in the strap different sizes. One actually about a ½ longer, but that does let the door open more, and placing the bracket on the front would be the thickness off the sheet metal, but should work, but again it would be noticeable, but only briefly when the door is open if it works.
steve

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Here are the pictures of the original I used for the template and couple of pictures of the finished brackets. I had to rework the A post so I was able to spot weld mine in. I am not able to get pictures in correct order. The first two are finished brackets and the last is the original as a template.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0149 (1).jpg
    IMG_0149 (1).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0150 (1).jpg
    IMG_0150 (1).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 134

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You may want to start a business because I am sure that there are many broken brackets out there. If you decide to make a batch, let me know cause mine are broken and patched.

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
There has never been enough volume in custom brackets to start a business. I tried it once. I do it for the enjoyment and challenge. I have started a batch of 5 sets. I will let you know when they are ready. Frank

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Understood. The door mirrors on the TR7/8 had plastic breakaway mounts that kept breaking away (go figure). I made a more permanent set for myself out of aluminum and ended up making about 50 more for my friends and their friends.....at a batch size of six pieces each time. Didn't know that there were that many people with broken mirror mounts.

Thanks, Frank.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There are a lot of parts like that on the TR and probable all the other LBCs. Small demand so no major manufacturer is interested in taking them on so it is up to us to do it ourselves.

Had to make a scuttle vent mechanism last year as mine was gone. Have found it since in the bottom of a box of odd parts.

David