• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Door #1 or Door #2 1958 AH 100-6 Grille Eyebrow

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Good afternoon,

As I prepare a bunch of stuff for chroming I have discovered a delimma...

Which of these two original grille eyebrows belongs to a 1958 Austin Healey 100-6???

Door number ONE

Eyebrow 1.jpg

or

Door number TWO

eyebrow 2.jpg

I do not wish to chrome the wrong one.. the other will be for sale in 'as is' condition...

Thanks a bunch...

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. As I examined the Door 1 eyebrow me thinks that it is not useable. It is respendent with ripples and small dings.

Sooo, that leads to my next query... Have you heard anything about the $240 aftermarket eyebrow from Moss??? I don't think that it is stainless...

I am starting to get disenchanted with the quality of the chrome schtuff that they are vending... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Ron

Re: Door #1 or Door #2 1958 AH 100-6 Grille Eyebro

ronzet said:
Steve,

I am starting to get disenchanted with the quality of the chrome schtuff that they are vending... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Ron
--- how the heck can ya be "disenchanted" ya only got "19" things on that list????? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight

Anthony,

19 ?!?!? try ten times that... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

The good news is... they have parts for our cars!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

May not be great parts or NOS parts but they have parts just the same.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Ron

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior

I have no idea how the aftermarket part is. They show up on Ebay quite frequently though.

BlueRidge2

Jedi Hopeful

Ron, I would have someone that repairs stainless trim evaluate your piece. It may not be as far gone as you think.
The stainless trim is not so difficult to remove dings and bends. It also polishes up easily. Bob

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would have to say door number one is for your car. It has the pointy shape near the center. Mine is stainless steel not chrome, maybe you can have it polished instead of chroming. Good luck with your project.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Thanks everyone...

I will look around for a shop that can evaluate my eyebrow and see if it can be repaired and polished...

As usual, you have all been a wealth of knowledge...

Ron /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Johnny,

Very nice AH. The picture is too small for these old eyes to see...what year ?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tahoe Healey,

For a thorough polishing/repair I think you would be best served with it off the car.... I don't want anyone near my car with something that spins rapidly... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Patton,

I do not know if any of the repros are stainless.. I am assuming that they are not... I am going to talk to Moss today about a couple of other issues, I'll ask... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

markshaw

Ron,
It is definately #1. Even with a dent and "ripple" a gppd polisher ghould be able to correct and make good again.

I would not recommend an aftermarket one. If yours is not rpairable try e-bay for a used one. In the end the fit and quality will be much better.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Mark,

Words of wisdom... I will scour eBay for a decent one if my bodywork guy determines that mine is no longer useful.

I do have a query.... Does anyone know year and model AH the one pictured behind door #2 belong to?? It is straight, fits my 100-6, is chromed and not stainless??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/square.gif

I could sell it on eBay if I could determine what it belongs to... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
#2 is from a Mark 2 or Mark 3 and yes it is chrome. They are somewhat valuable as they were steel and tended to rust out once they fell into disrepair. The replacements are expensive and quality can be questionable. if you do not need it, sell it on Ebay.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Steven,

Thanks for the comments. I looked at a few MKIIs and MKIIIs on eBay and in my restoration book. It appears that it is probably for the MKII. The MKIII appears to have a single oval piece that covers the whole 'hole'. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Sooo, unless otherwise informed, I will place it on eBay as a MKII nose piece... It is currently at the chrome shop with a bunch of other stuff so it will be listed as newly chromed when I get it back...

Thanks