Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Another one singing praises for permatex copper spray. I had already replaced the head gsket once on the midget, used this the second time and it fixed my problems. I have also used it on a subaru that had already blown two head gaskets, and also a mazda truck that had blown a head gasket and worn a groove between 3 and 4 cylinder and also on my moms escort that had a head gasket problem.
This last on with the midget learned me. I will always use this stuff on ahead gasket. Its cheap and it works.
If we are talking about the black Payen head gasket, it can be installed dry, or with sealer, if sealer is used I recommend the Permatex Hitack gasket spray with this head gasket, over the copper gasket spray. The black Payen head gasket does not need a sealer, we use sealer on the race engines with the black Payen head gasket, because it does nothing to affect the seal, but makes gasket removal easier, it comes off without tearing. Hope this helps.
In my shop, the Black paper type gaskets get Silver spray paint. Copper/steel composite gaskets get "Copper-Coat" type spray. Like Hap said, the silver paint allows easier removal of the black head gasket.
If I’m reading this correctly I seems that both Hap and Mike are saying that the reason to use the spray is for removal and it’s not necessary to help the gasket seal. I did see on the BPNW site that they recommend it. This is for a 1275 that’s not raced so I’m not concerned with removing and replacing. The gasket i removed had failed between 2&3 cylinders. I have no idea whose gasket it was but I’ve ordered the Payen black from BPNW.
By the way Hap I get lots of compliments on the VTO wheels I bought from you for my Bugeye.
Thanks, Ernie.
Over the years I've heard both with and without sealant recommended, depending upon who's doing it.
Those who say without say that if you need sealant you haven't properly prepared the surfaces--that if you've had them properly machined you don't need it and when you have to do a rebuild it's a pain to get it all scraped off again--- and to only use plastic scrapers when you do...
Those who say to use it say that it's cheap insurance against flaws and you are all but guaranteed a proper seal... and that it can save the expense of taking the block and head to a machine shop. ...
A copper bearing liquid Kopr-Kote, Permatex spray-a-gasket, etc., is what I have used on every head install. BTW, you will probably get more responses if you start a new thread than by posting new matter in a thread that has been dead for a while.
Bob
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.