• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DNA Test, Me

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know that's me on me knees in th' fetal position on Summer Solstice on my back yard rock, right?
Of course, I knew it right away. You had your ear on the ground listening for the beer truck.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Perceptive, you are!

Screenshot from 2018-07-11 20-20-05.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Of course, I knew it right away. You had your ear on the ground listening for the beer truck.

That's what happens to kids who wait for the Ice Cream Truck
when they get older - they wait for the Beer Truck!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: Just native "French Vanilla" sun screen, Doug.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I don't need no stinkin' DNA test. Lithuanian horse thieves on my old man's side, Austro-Hungarian horse thieves on my old lady's side. What's the rumpus? Who gives a crap?

Country flag
but now we've gone so far in the other direction that younger folks have no expectation of privacy or voluntarily give it up without knowing they have an option to keep it.

I don't think it's that they don't know, more along the lines of social media allowing everyone to have those 5 minutes of fame and maybe be recognized like a Kardashian, famous for being famous.

My youngest brother did the ancestry thing the beginning of the year. With our dad being adopted we got a surprise in finding his father was apparently one of three brothers and would have had either a half sister or 1st cousin. Can't narrow down further as those who would need to be tested re all passed on.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Though I've not done this, I am intrigued. For those of us whose parents never really told us much about our families, there are plenty of holes we'd like to fill in.

Not sure I'll ever pull the trigger, but it's kinda nice to know the technology exists.

Country flag
Doc is the only person I know that can tell you the year make and model of the beer truck, when it last had a tune-up, how many passengers it is carrying and if there are any empties JUST from doing that! :D

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'm not the bit concerned if someone else knows my lineage, I don't think the Finnish, British, German or any other place in the line will request any back taxes from 400 years ago or so. :highly_amused: I filled some of the holes in by doing it, but one thing that surprised me was, my great grandmother on my grandmothers side was a full blood Lenope indian, descendant from the Delaware tribe, they never picked that up, she is buried in Medford New Jersey and the historical society knows of her. So is all of this DNA stuff true, only the first three I can confirm, the rest is just ???? I have confirmed that my grandfather 10 times removed? was an Admiral in the British Navy in the late 15 to 1600s, for whatever that is worth. :rolleyes2:

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
What samples YOU submit don't even matter. A case recently written up in the Sacramento Bee and being discussed by criminal defense lawyers is: 30 year old "cold case" rape and murder with DNA sample left. Cops send semen to a DNA/genealogy firm. No matching record, but a "close relative" correspondence with another person in the provider's database (who is ruled out as a suspect) crops up, which has a "family tree" work up. Cops look at the family tree info and find a guy who lived blocks from the crime scene. They tail him until he puts gum or a kleenex in a trash can, run a DNA test on the new sample and get a perfect match. While we all might cheer the result in this case (and there appears to be no viable 4th Amendment problem), Big Brother is here regardless of your participation in this new age.
Bob

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What samples YOU submit don't even matter. A case recently written up in the Sacramento Bee and being discussed by criminal defense lawyers is: 30 year old "cold case" rape and murder with DNA sample left. Cops send semen to a DNA/genealogy firm. No matching record, but a "close relative" correspondence with another person in the provider's database (who is ruled out as a suspect) crops up, which has a "family tree" work up. Cops look at the family tree info and find a guy who lived blocks from the crime scene. They tail him until he puts gum or a kleenex in a trash can, run a DNA test on the new sample and get a perfect match. While we all might cheer the result in this case (and there appears to be no viable 4th Amendment problem), Big Brother is here regardless of your participation in this new age.
Bob
That sounds like the case that happened right here in Lancaster, PA.
The case was “cold” for something like 29 years. DNA from a close relative and a little family tree dectective work and the rapist was caught.
Is it the same case?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Once you send your DNA out for analysis, is there any control over what happens to the results? Are they shared with third parties?

As DNA carries markers for genetically-borne diseases, I'm not sure I'd want "third parties" using it. Remember "Gattaca", 1997?

in-valid.jpg

In a slightly different context, Cambridge Analytica and Facebook come to mind.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
According to the newspaper report, this case involves a guy now suspected of being a serial offender in California in the eighties.
Bob

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
With corporations (and government) STILL not taking security seriously, I put as little information out there as possible. Anthem, OPM, Experian, Sony and Home Depot have all had my info hacked.

D

Deleted member 8987

It's really what a person has been convinced is acceptable.
Social Medias have convinced you to put everything out there....including that you are currently at a campground 100 miles from home.....so who is going to take the opportunity to break into your hovel?

Or just sit and chat on your stupid phone 3.0 in the doctor's office...and tell your girlfriend what you did with the boyfriend this last weekend....and oh, why don't you came over and wait for me? The security code for the garage door is....and I sat and listened (as did all the other folks there) to that entire conversation.

Or do your banking sitting at St. Arbucks and wonder why you have trouble with your account balance?

LONG time ago when DNA testing was getting out of FBI-Only....the consensus was once the insurance companies (or your employer) had it, and could determine what hereditary issues you had...and fired you without recourse....and the blarney about it doesn't matter what you give....except if folks would all think instead of passing the info out, that relative who said the same thing about "It doesn't matter" would not.....

You just never know when this stuff is gonna turn around and bite you on the hindquarters.

Got one of them transponders in your car? You do know they authorities can track your every move? Got GPS enabled on your stupidphone 3.0?

How about new cars with more than one computer..and one is a black box...and they KNOW what you did.....it's none of their business, and I shall resist.

Give in if you want, just don't drag anybody else into your hole with ya.

Windoze Ten? Really? How about you make it more difficult and re-commission your old XP box so they CAN'T?

Oh, no, gotta have the latest and best...and IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The reality of convenience over responsibility. The lemmings go for convenience, AFAIC.

Country flag
I don't online bank or pay bills, still have a flip phone since I don't care about browsing or downloading, have a 20yo daily driver and generally relative to younger folks live off the grid. Probably won't be able to continue that way long term, but I feel no need to share all my hour to hour lofe and movements with the world.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
MikeP said:
I don't online bank or pay bills, still have a flip phone since I don't care about browsing or downloading, have a 20yo daily driver and generally relative to younger folks live off the grid. Probably won't be able to continue that way long term, but I feel no need to share all my hour to hour lofe and movements with the world.

"Me too" :iagree:

An 85 Y.O. pal has the latest smart phone, vehicle GPS and all the gadgetry, surveillance cameras at (and in) his house, linked to the 'net... laughs at my Motorola flip-phone and my decidedly un-modern take on all the "conveniences" available. He's a glaring exception to the rule. So far, I've been able to dissuade him from submitting DNA to scrutiny.