• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DJI Mavic Pro

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mark if your drone does some damage, try this....

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Mark - something I've always wondered about. If a gust of wind causes it to damage neighbor's property, what's the insurance situation? Tom M.

No idea, Tom. :smile: Can't imagine this one causing damage... but, still, there is surely a liability (even like riding a bike onto someone's property and causing damage).

Elliot: I want it back! LOL

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have you flown it autonomously yet? Like on a preprogrammed course.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Have you flown it autonomously yet? Like on a preprogrammed course.

No, but I've tried setting a course once... where it goes in a line toward what you point to. This allows for panning around in an artistic way.
There is also a way to set "way points" where it remembers exactly where it is and high it is so that you can re-fly that route (home or out again).

For now, I'm merely trying to get used to flying it. :smile:

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
No idea, Tom. :smile: Can't imagine this one causing damage... but, still, there is surely a liability (even like riding a bike onto someone's property and causing damage).

Elliot: I want it back! LOL
I've read, the military is now using "mission impossible " drones.
they are rigged to self destruct if they get into trouble.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I believe it. Given they can transmit back to base (and they are relatively inexpensive, by military standards), they'd be perfect.
Drones are being used EVERYWHERE. Whenever I see a video that is aerial, it's surely a drone.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Another one (from a neighbor's house). Still in the crude editing phases...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mark - have you got any negative vibes from the folk who live in the houses?

Not sure I'd want a drone (drones?) buzzing over my place.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It certainly can be an issue... but in this case, I KNOW all these people (and they know me). I'm sensitive to the issue, and never every fly close.
That written, they've all loved the aerial photos I've taken from their homes.

About 2 years ago a neighbor (a couple) was sitting out on their deck having a glass of wine when a drone buzzed them. I'd not like that either.

If I was in new territory, I'd be careful about this issue.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Morning in Portland. :smile: In this one there are some fun things... a dog running on a playfield, birds (about 1:15 as I face my house), and a strange splice (about 1:45). Why the splice? Well, I finally crashed it, though no harm done. Crash? That's not possible. :wink-new: Well, I was trying an autopilot feature in a tight space and should more quickly taken back control.
Like a lot of YouTube-linked videos, this one looks MUCH better at YouTube in full-screen mode (though, oddly, YouTube doesn't kick into hi-res mode for a good 20 seconds - EDIT: it's important to be sure your YouTube settings are to maximum resolution - 1080p HD).

Last edited:

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Didn't notice the splice.
but i really like the way your neighborhood is perched up in he hills like that.
what a view!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Didn't notice the splice.
but i really like the way your neighborhood is perched up in he hills like that.
what a view!

Thanks Guy. Yep... we're here for the view. Property taxes through the roof, but we'll manage.
The main splice was at 1:50 or so (putting two entire different flights together).
I'm finally getting used to panning slower so the videos looks better. With more time and video-editing, I think I'll be able to produce some nice stuff.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Small caveat:
my son is trying to do a professional video of his industrial pump production process in a large Mfg. Plant & warehouse.
he tried using a cheap drone with poor results.

showed him your clips & post.... May have solved his problem

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Unfortunately (?), one must step up to a more expensive drone to get full 4K quality video AND one still needs to be careful when panning. If you poke around on the ol' interweb, there are many spectacular videos shot with the Mavic (and check out the DJI site).

My son (now 33), who is a "gamer", took to it immediately! :highly_amused:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One more. :fat:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mark, fly it cross country, hover over my house and take a video then post it :smile:
Really, nice results from your quadcopter!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
:smile: I plan to bring it with me traveling... ya never know.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My buddy Rick flies some of his off his sail boat while sailing!
he doesn't even bother landing them anymore they grab it out of the air!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Oh, boy... I can hardly wait to try this feature of the Mavic called "active track" (where it will follow me in the car - from behind, in front or from the side)!