• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dimensions for Tie Rod and Cross Bar for 100

mjobrien

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks,

Working an alignment issue (too much Toe Out) and not sure where the issue is. I wanted to verify the pin to pin dimensions of the tie rods for a BN1 and also the crossbar pin to pin. I have checked the geometry and it all appears correct to the manual and other sources.

Anyone have these on hand, I may call Moss as well.

Regards,
Michael.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
michael,
I'mm interested in the comments back also, mine was set up as per manual specs, and I'm seeing tyre wear also

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
mjobrien said:
Folks,

Working an alignment issue (too much Toe Out) and not sure where the issue is. I wanted to verify the pin to pin dimensions of the tie rods for a BN1 and also the crossbar pin to pin. I have checked the geometry and it all appears correct to the manual and other sources.

Anyone have these on hand, I may call Moss as well.

Regards,
Michael.
"Just another area to check"...If you set-up your toe-in to factory specs you will hav e problems with tire wear if you're now running radial tires because the factory specs is for conventional tires because that's what they had when the book was written.
Patrick

OP
mjobrien

mjobrien

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Patrick,

Agreed, my issue is that the geometry as it is right now will not allow for any toe in and will not center out. It appears that either my tie rods or cross bar are too long. I purchased a new crossbar that I think is correct. What I'm not sure of is, did other models have longer tie rods?

I suspect the ones that were on the car (and I reused) are incorrect.

Thansk,
Michael.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
mjobrien said:
Patrick,
Agreed, my issue is that the geometry as it is right now will not allow for any toe in and will not center out. It appears that either my tie rods or cross bar are too long. I purchased a new crossbar that I think is correct. What I'm not sure of is, did other models have longer tie rods?

I suspect the ones that were on the car (and I reused) are incorrect.

Thansk,
Michael.
I think I would ask someone to measure their crossbar and send the specs to you and maybe even see if you can take a personal look at another 100 in your area. I believe, other than the type of tie-rod ends, with grease fitting and without grease fitting, that the specs are the same. I had a 100 several years ago and used front end parts from a BJ8 with no problems.
Patrick

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So if the tyres are set up with toe in/out as per the manual then what correction to the adjustment should be made if the tyres are radials, and not crossply's which were around when the manual was written?

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello mjobrien,

Which side tubes do you have? are they the 1 piece design that are not adjustable or the 3 piece design where the ball joints are screwed into the tube. At some point in the BN1 production they were changed over to the 1 piece non adjustable type which is the way of later cars. I just saw that you have a 1955 BN1 so it would have the 1 piece design.

You say it seems the cross tube is too long, are the ball joints screwed all the way in?. If so remove the ball joints and cut about 1/8" off each end of the tube put the ball joints back in and try again.

With regards to Toe in the modern machines used to measure it measure in degrees and not a linear dimension.

Just recently I had my Healey in for a wheel alignment check and it was set to 0.08 degrees both sides. No I didn't think to ask the guy what this equates to in inches but I do know it is a very small measurement. If you consider that 1 degree is 60 minutes then 0.08 degrees is 4.8 minutes. No, this has nothing to do with time measurement.

Best regards,

bundyrum.