• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Denis Welch Pre-Load Transmission Washers

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Copied from Denis Welch site: PRE-LOAD WASHER. At 0.035" thick these increase the clamp load of the front and rear main gearbox bearings substantially. Fits all BN2 to BJ8 gearboxes although occasionally some cases may require the register machining deeper to accept these. A must use item for road or race to help increase the life of the gearbox.

The Moss catalog says for the front BJ8:
848-930 SHIM, bearing .002. A/R
848-940 SHIM, bearing .004. A/R
For the rear;
848-910 N/A SHIM, bearing, A/R. (no thickness information)

I would assume one figures out the distance from the OD to case and Clutch Housing to the case, including the gasket thickness, then adds the number of shims to close that gap.
I'll assume that's to keep the 1st motion shaft and mainshaft pressed together so there's no movement.

I just replaced my worn Layshaft which has the welded on 1st gear with a one piece remanufactured Laygear from AHSpares and found the thrust washers used for the worn Laygear were too thick, thereby not being able to install the AHS laygear. We sanded the front/rear Thrustwasher so it will slide in. It spun but not sure there was enough endfloat, mechanic didn't measure it.

OD was bolted on securely. When the Clutch Housing was bolted the 1st motion shaft turned. When he finally tightened the bolts on the Clutch Housing the 1st motion shaft would not turn. Untighten the bolts on the Housing it turned. Found out there wasn't enough endfloat with the Laygear. Sand the Thrustwasher thinner, more endfloat. Now when the Housing is bolted tight, Layshaft spins.

Am I wrong in concluding the case flexed enough to take away the Laygear endfloat? Which I assume would be because of the pressure on the 1st motion shaft bearing and the mainshaft bearing?

Sorry, for the long explanation above, but I feel it's relevant to... how important is the amount of shim (pre-load washer) on the 1st motion shaft bearing and mainshaft bearing be. Denis Welch applies more pressure and explains why. Now that I have the correct endfloat, I believe is 0.002, would DW be an improvement over not as much pressure with stacking regular shims?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WHT Denis Welch CENG635SO Flywheel Austin Healey 0
L Denis Welch Front Disc Conversion Kit 100/6 Austin Healey 6
Jake For Sale Denis Welch aluminum works shroud scuttle vent scoop - $175 Austin Healey Classifieds 0
Fortius For Sale AH 3000 MK III Phase II 1967 - Denis Welch Engine & Parts Austin Healey Classifieds 0
steveg Denis Welch mild cam Austin Healey 9
H Denis Welch cooling fan arrived today Austin Healey 2
V Denis Welch Austin Healey 5
J Denis Welch Aluminum Sump and H/C Oil Pump clearance Austin Healey 18
J Denis Welch STEEL ROCKER PEDESTALS AND SPACERS Austin Healey 1
Roger Denis Welch RIP Austin Healey 12
Patrick67BJ8 Denis Welch Air Filter for BJ8 Austin Healey 22
M Denis Welch Vernier Cam Sprocket Austin Healey 8
stretchit2 Denis Welch Steering Box Austin Healey 4
Randy Forbes Denis Welch 100/S brochure... Austin Healey 0
A Denis Welch Aluminum Head on a 100M Austin Healey 9
6 Denis Welch Brake Drums? Austin Healey 5
E Denis Welch Dual Circuit Brakes [BN2]????? Austin Healey 9
R Denis Welch Header Austin Healey 2
B Welch air filters Austin Healey 5
R Dennis Welch Rear Crank seal conversion - Gap in back plate Austin Healey 19
H Dennis Welch Cooling Fan Austin Healey 9
Frankenhealey Welch Endurance Car for sale Austin Healey 2
zschicago Installed Dennis Welch brake kit Austin Healey 5
HealeyPassion Impressive video Jeremy Welch racing in rain Austin Healey 7
6 Question re: Welch Brass Radiator Austin Healey 5
Fortius Dennis Welch Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit Austin Healey 2
DerekJ Dennis Welch Headers - their view Austin Healey 7
9 For Sale Magnetic Aluminum Alloy Fuel Cap for TR250 and pre-1970 TR6 Triumph Classifieds 2
60TR3A Pre-Purchase Inspection in Redmond, Washington Austin Healey 9
P Classic Tube Pre-Bent Brake Lines Austin Healey 5
C Wanted Ford Kent Pre-Cross Flow Gasket Other British Classifieds 4
Lin Gear Reduction High-Torque Starters: Inertia or Pre-engaged? Austin Healey 4
S How to inspect the frame in a pre-purchase inspection on a restored car? Austin Healey 15
C Ford pre-crossflow valve train Other British Cars 2
Answerman Restoration of OLD [pre WWII style] leather seats Restoration & Tools 5
Jim_Stevens TR2/3/3A Pre-60k sloping rear needed Triumph 6
F TR2/3/3A Pre-Ignition Triumph 14
NutmegCT Another pre-WW2 streamlined sedan Other Cars 1
J Pre-War Steering box used in Pre-war? MG 6
T TR2/3/3A Late Fuel Tank in Pre-TS60000 TR3A Triumph 3
A pinging / pre ignition Spridgets 2
S pre ignition Austin Healey 9
M TR2/3/3A Body Measurement differences between pre & post 60,000 TR3s Triumph 4
NutmegCT General MG Wilson pre-selector? MG 2
KVH TR4/4A Pre Ignition Run On Triumph 2
Griz New Engine Pre-lube BJ7 Austin Healey 13
John_Mc Pre-War Pre-war gathering in Banff, Canada last Sunday... Triumph 7
C 1500 gt pre cross flow Other British Cars 4
Q TR2/3/3A Pre-Ignition On TR3A Triumph 9
S Pre-1913 cars for ID Other British Cars 2