• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dead pedal for 5 speeds

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
FWIW For you guys with a 5 speed conversion here's a thought.....use that old OD switch as your dimmer switch and convert your dimmer switch to a dead pedal. This is will give you a nice place to rest your left foot on those long cruises. I removed the dimmer switch and put a nice aluminum pedal pad on the original dimmer switch mount. I changed the OD switch to one that was a bit "softer" throw, but still a 35 amp rating.

Cheers,
Steve
BJ7

Attachments

• 15464.jpg
    15464.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 238

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve,

I like it. That's a really nice solution, simple & elegant. I'm going to do it! It's one of those 'why didn't I....' things. I've been driving mine for over 12 years with a 5 spd and never even thought about the OD switch.

The added plus will be knowing if your high beams are on or not at a glance, rather than stopping and cupping your hand over the gage during daylight hours.

The pedal pad you used looks to be about perfect - where did you get it?

Thanks,
Dave

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll try to find where I got it.....it's been on my shelf for probably 9+ years. I used them when I built a 1940 Ford hot rod a whole bunch of years ago and I ended up with an extra one which has been just waiting for the right application.... I suspect they are still available.

Attachments

• 15465.jpg
    15465.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 210
OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dave, the pedal pad is still available for $26. from Springfield Street Rods at 1-800-752-9763, it you want one ask for the 3 1/2" X 2" aluminum pedal B3239S. I liked the simplisity of it...no funky stuff going on. Just drill 2 holes in the pedal to match the AH bracket and your good to go. The switch I used was from NAPA, TG6057 (there is also another number on the box V09014 but I don't think that's the primary no.). It looks like the original chromed levered switch but it is a lighter throw, which I thought would be nice for finger effort on a long trip....and it is rated at 35amp so should be stought enough. It is even indexed just like the original so it just slides in!

Paul161, who knew there were so many pedal choices!!!.....I never looked! I kinda liked some of the Ferrari ones but I found the rice burners versions a bit much for my tastes...still, a huge selection.

Cheers,
Steve

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve, Thanks for the research and info. I wasn't planning on changing the switch but since you have made it so easy with part numbers and all, I guess I'll do that too. I like your reasoning, and besides I haven't used my OD switch for over 12 years and the contacts may not be at their optimum.

I'm likely to get spoiled having all this info served up - my local auto parts store guys all know me by name and often visibly cringe when I walk in the door because I regularly use things in "other than their intended application" and I usually don't even know what "the intended application is".

I too checked out Paul161's (thanks Paul) link and was amazed at how many choices there were. However, I think the one you have is just the right size and is nice & simple - fits my taste too.

Dave Phillips