• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Daimler - Am I nuts? [probably]

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no illusions that this car is some kind of sports car that I could whip around mountain roads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see Basil touring the country in a stately manner befitting the 'haves' with a white-gloved Mrs. Fawlty gently waving to the 'have-nots'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Buy it Basil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on guys, you are supposed to be convincing Basil that this would be a foolish purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

That he doesn't really want it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

AND that he should tell me where to get it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Come on Basil, you know you want me to have it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

By the way,Basil, I obviously agree with you. That is one classy car and it sounds to me like the price is right.
If you do actually go crazy and don't buy that thing, make sure you remember me. I am way beyond jealous.
Go get it. dress to the 9's. Go to dinner at the finest reastraunt in town. and let the Valet park your car. Think about the scene when they bring the car out to you after the meal.

Mike

MattP

Jedi Knight
I say go for it. It looks wonderful. Just do keep in mind that if there were only 500 of them, there will be a lot of bits that you just don't call up NAPA and pick up that afternoon.

But, that in mind, that looks like it would be a sweet tourer.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Ok guys, Looks like I'm completely mad. I just committed to buying this car. And, oh by the way, I forgot to mention that it comes with a 1949 "parts car". Well, I went to look at this "parts car" and guess what! It's a nearly rust-free, mostly complete (lots of parts still in boxes) 1949 Daimler Sports Special! The Parts Car would be worth more than the 53 when its all put together (I suspect). I'll post pics of the 53 when I get them, but here's the 49 that I am also getting:

49ss_1.jpg

49ss_2.jpg

49ss_motor.jpg

49ss_int.jpg

MattP

Jedi Knight
That is just too nice, Bas. I would wish you good luck, but it looks like you already have it. Congrats.

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Man that is nice.I spent time looking for a 53/54 Alpine.Too few and too much.Finally gave up.
The parts car is also very nice.I even wouldn't mind that one at all.
Congratulations to you.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Well, it looks as though good things happen to good people, after all.
Now I am insanely jealous!
Excellent find, Basil. I would be tempted to restore them both. No, tempted is incorrect. I'd <u>do</u> it.
Jeff

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Oh Basil, we are all positively BRG with envy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
TWO of them!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well I gues I only thought I was envious before.
I'm looking on the bright side...My trailer will only haul one of those beasts...so I would have to make two trips to NM. doesn't seem worth it .... (Hmmmm, Never seems to work when you lie to yourself. Does it?)

Congratulations Basil! Keep us up to date on progress. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Mike

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited about it. I have learned from the folks that run the Daimler register that there are only 18 Sports Specials on the register in the USA (not sure yet if mine are already on the register of if they would be 19 and 20). Hard to believe I snagged both of these - the first year and last year examples - for (please sit down) $8000.

Basil

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
I guess I wasn't sitting low enough.... Fell out of my chair onto the floor.

Congrats again!! I would be feeling very lucky right now.

Mike

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey bas, I'll trade you two spitfires for one of your parts car.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Basil...

There are at least two I know of in Canada...

#1 I saw in Calgary, Alberta back in 2000, I understand that this car has been here in Calgary for many years, didn't see it at any shows I went to this year, is it still in Calgary? The colour is white on burgundy

DaimlerSports1.jpg

#2 I saw at a British show in Toronto a couple of years ago, your favourite blue on ivory colour

DaimlerSports2.jpg

What's the original colour on your Daimler? Or does it matter for value how original the car is...

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks for the pictures! (I took the liberty of re-sizing them and putting on my server - I like to keep picture widths to max of 600 pixels of possible).

It it is obvious from the two pics that the fender skirts add a lot to the lines of the car (one pic has them and the other doesn't).

(I have no idea what the original color of my Daimler was (but I know what color scheme I'm paining it. The one you posted is close but a little too dark on the top and a little too silver on the sides. I want this:
show_090.jpg

Basil

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Good ole B&O colours.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Good ole B&O colours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang and Olufsen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way, I have been in contact with the fellow who runs the Daimler registry and it seems the 49 is not an SS but a 49 Drop Head Coupe. Still a rare car in its own right. The SS is in fact a 51 based on the chassis number they have in their records.

Cheers,
Basil

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Basil, I'm green with envy, to even have a chance at this beautiful car makes you a lucky man. They ride like a dream. Wayne