• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

daily driver value

daily

howdy all,
what do you suppose is ballpark value of my 59-BN4 with great
BJ8 engine,fresh trans-OD,no rust,many driveable upgrades
needs paint&interior????
it's all there.... with respect 59er

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI 59er Just put down on a piece of paper what you think you would pay for it, then compare that to what the guys on the forum come up with---Keoke

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Needs paint and interior as in presentable but not perfect or in primer/faded whatever?

If no rust and straight and presentable I would say $25-30K, if it needs paint and an interior as in parts are missing or terrible shape maybe subtract 10k or more.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
No offense intended but I'm thinking around 15k tops. The BJ8 engine is better but may not enhance its value in todays market. Just my opinion for what its worth

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
If you want to sell it quickly and locally, I tend to agree with the 15K number. If you want to do some work and give it some national exposure via e-bay, Hemmings, or even some of the auctions, you might be able to get it to the 20K - 25K range.

Personally I think the BJ8 engine is a real plus, it is far livelier than the original Bn4, especially the two-port. Most Healey buyers seem to lean more toward performance than originality -- witness all those 72 spoke wheels out there.

Comes down to quality of paint, panel fit, interior. Improving these issues is very expensive, easy to spend 10 or 20K just to upgrade from 20 footer to five footer. Or 100K to take it to concours level.

I am a bit behind the times on Healey values though, seems like they can generate some major bucks amongst collectors, you never know. In the end it is worth whatever your buyer is willing to pay.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Not much, really, and I'm willing to come on down and take it to the dump on my way home. :thirsty:

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I disagree, Without the orginal motor,,, people shy away and pay much less. And in this obama economy.... things are very tight out there. Just advertise it on ebay and your local papers ect.... and get at least what you have into it. No reason you should lose money on a Austin Healey if it is in running condition and a solid car. Add at least 2 grand to your your investment for some profit. Hopefully you are not upside down on it already! And dont let ebay be your selling guide..... most people want something for nothing! Take your sweet time selling it if you can.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
elrey said:
Not much, really, and I'm willing to come on down and take it to the dump on my way home. :thirsty:

Don.t forget to tell him the dump is in your back yard.---Keoke-- :laugh:

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Pics would really help. I think a solid driver, that has good (non-original, non- period) mechanical work done to it, that needs paint and some interior work and is all there would fetch $17-$19K

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
You'll get all of the money for it, whatever that is, on ebay with good pictures and an honest description. Even with the better engine , its still a BN4. I agree with drambuie with respect to the economy. Buyers are much more careful with their money it seems. The word is out that a Healey can't be painted for a thousand bucks so that would scare all but the truly enthusiastic ( like us) who already have our cars. The body and chassis would have to be nice and the pictures should be able to readily show that. One thing about ebay is that you'll get everyone in the world that is seriously in the market to look at it and that ain't all bad for the money.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Your buyer will most likely be a non Healey enthuiast, for someone whos looking for a BN4 will probably want the correct engine in it.

So you'll have to factor in, do you have the correct engine that will go with the car, or where can one be found and for how much. How expensive will it be to make the swap, etc to make that deal happen.

If someone just wants a Healey, likes the BN4 style and doesn't care if it has the BJ8 inline 6 or a V8 engine, then you may look at Ebay for prices with V8s in them. I don't think you'll find many BN4 with a BJ8 engine for comparison.

That aside, the foot rule comes into play for the rest of the cars worth.

OP
D

daily

howdy all,
thanks for all the recent input i.e. "what's my baby worth"
i've rejected an offer that falls short of her value, based upon every thing she is[supposedly] not.
"it is an underpowered 100-6", mine is performance enhanced BJ8
"it is entry level 4 seater" mine has many many upgrades i.e. suspension,elect,fuel,exhaust,etc etc etc.
what is it that motivates one to degrade to gain advantage?????
in the end i'd rather plant flowers in her than succumb.....
with respect 59er

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
:iagree: Don't sell it short! Since you are going to regret selling it anyway, you don't need to add another reason to kick yourself.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On another forum, about a different car, I counsel members to remove all their modifications and sell them separately as they often tend to put off buyers. It is difficult to find someone with your exact taste in modifications.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Is this the car that had the transmission whine? I read where you replaced an accumulator piston, was that the trouble and the source of the debris?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
elrey said:
:iagree: Don't sell it short! Since you are going to regret selling it anyway, you don't need to add another reason to kick yourself.

:iagree:----------------------Keoke--- :hammer:

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
If someone's made a serious offer on your car, they've answered your question. What you choose to do with the info. is up to you. You're emotionally attached, thats cool . You're asking us what its value is? I for one wouldn't buy it. A car without its original engine has no collector value for me. You can go on and on about the improvements you've made and I'm sure you've made a great car for yourself but to try and sell it to someone else might be a different story. Any deviation from original spec. narrows the market down , that's a fact. Used to be that any Healey thrown on the market got gobbled up quicly. The feeding frenzy is over. When that happens , you had better like what you have sitting in your garage. Thats all the sage advice I have for the day , now I have to go feed the chickens as mornin is just starting to break...Kevin

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Brinkerhoff said:
If someone's made a serious offer on your car, they've answered your question. What you choose to do with the info. is up to you. You're emotionally attached, thats cool . You're asking us what its value is? I for one wouldn't buy it. A car without its original engine has no collector value for me. You can go on and on about the improvements you've made and I'm sure you've made a great car for yourself but to try and sell it to someone else might be a different story. Any deviation from original spec. narrows the market down , that's a fact. Used to be that any Healey thrown on the market got gobbled up quicly. The feeding frenzy is over. When that happens , you had better like what you have sitting in your garage. Thats all the sage advice I have for the day , now I have to go feed the chickens as mornin is just starting to break...Kevin
An exception for me would be if the modified car still had the original parts available and IF it wasn't "cut up" when making the mods.