• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Cylinder Head Time For More Tools?

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
The two engine shops (I know of ) in Columbia, SC, will not work on my old Triumph engine........(some type of discrimination going on her, but I don't think I can find a sympathetic jury) .
I'm trailering her 130 miles to Charleston on Thursday. Last of a breed!
(BTW: the Triumph mechanic charges $100.bucks/hr.):: what's the going rate where you are?

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, I was going to get a quote from my shop doing my body work that also does engine work for the above to see how much it costs. In CA, I'm betting it's more. EVERYTHING costs more in CA. I may just end up shipping it out to Acme Speed Shop. Even with shipping I bet I come out ahead.
Gary - consider Dels Automotive Machine Shop in Sacramento. They did all my machine work for about $1600 or so. Included tanking the block and head, shot peen, magnaflux crack check, resize rod big end and fit to pistons, turn crank 10 under and remove scroll for lip seal, drill and dowel flywheel to fit TR6 clutch (HVDA), valve grind, shave head, check crank alignment, balance all, fit new cam bearings, hardened valve seats. I provided all parts in a box. I was really happy and my engine runs very well and smoother than a Triumph should be.

Pat

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The two engine shops (I know of ) in Columbia, SC, will not work on my old Triumph engine........(some type of discrimination going on her, but I don't think I can find a sympathetic jury) .
I'm trailering her 130 miles to Charleston on Thursday. Last of a breed!
(BTW: the Triumph mechanic charges $100.bucks/hr.):: what's the going rate where you are?
Any Triumph or British car organization in your area? Should be someone who can make a recommendation. I guess we're lucky here in my part of the northeast, there are several good shops within a two hour drive.
The machinists might get $100+ an hour, although I've always gotten a quote or estimate rather than an hourly rate. At $100 per hour, your Triumph mechanic should guarantee work, have a proven track record, impeccable references and considerable history. That rate is on the high side around here, but not without precedent.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Wow. This has to be the longest thread ever...that the OP has never checked back since his first post!

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gary - consider Dels Automotive Machine Shop in Sacramento. They did all my machine work for about $1600 or so. Included tanking the block and head, shot peen, magnaflux crack check, resize rod big end and fit to pistons, turn crank 10 under and remove scroll for lip seal, drill and dowel flywheel to fit TR6 clutch (HVDA), valve grind, shave head, check crank alignment, balance all, fit new cam bearings, hardened valve seats. I provided all parts in a box. I was really happy and my engine runs very well and smoother than a Triumph should be.

Pat

Thanks Pat for the referral. Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to shoot you a PM with a couple of questions.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes, I already have the head off. I'm just wanting things right before I reassemble. My last bill was about $290 for checking the valves and seats, checking for cracks, and doing some slight surfacing. Interestingly, when I dropped my head off yesterday at a different shop, the guy (who came highly recommended) took a quick look, asked if I ever had problems with overheating or leaks, noted that a few valves were a bit deep in the seats, and said I'd have it back soon and the bill would be "cheap." I'll see, but the sense I got was under $150. I trust people after quick judgments, and didn't insist on a quote.

All my springs look good, all same height. No wobble in the guides, and the underside of the head looks really clean. I'm fairly confident I've got a decent head, but I'll know soon.

I went ahead and bought a valve spring compressor tool from Sears. Very nice; a bit bulky, but now I've got a tool to play with when the time comes again.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Wow. This has to be the longest thread ever...that the OP has never checked back since his first post!
I guess I'm not the only one with too much time on my hands. I should be working on my car. Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...yesterday at a different shop, the guy (who came highly recommended) took a quick look, asked if I ever had problems with overheating or leaks, noted that a few valves were a bit deep in the seats, and said I'd have it back soon and the bill would be "cheap." I'll see, but the sense I got was under $150. I trust people after quick judgments, and didn't insist on a quote...

If this was John at Western Drawn Products -- I never bother to ask in advance what it will cost (partly because it is hard for him to say until he gets into the job) but he has always treated me very fairly.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes I like John a lot; but this time it was Gary at Gary's Machine Shop over on 17th Street. He went to my high school in the 70s. That means just about everything to me.