• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series cut off switch in MGB?

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
HI, been on the spridget list for a few now, but just got a nice 1978 mgb. It was a daily driver for the guy and i put it in the garage over night and the battery died. Ugh!! Anyway, battery was so big i could barely get it out. It was a real trick to do! Anyway, I found this silver lever behind the passengers seat that I messed with and found out it is a cut off switch. It looks stock but is this typical in a 78 MGB? I wish i knew why the battery died. doors seemed closed. everything in the car works including the clock! and all of the lights and when i got out in the am, the little light that comes on under the radio was barely lit. I put it on a trickle charger and it is back to full charge. I am not sure how I am going to check to see what caused it to die. I took the $250.00 battery from my MGb and put it in there for now.thanks!

-Lou

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not typical for an MGB - added by a previous owner.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
thank you

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
Common causes are a bad alternator and bad trunk light switch. The trunk light shouldn't discharge the battery in one day. A bad diode pack in the alternator will.
With the car off and the battery connected, remove the fourth fuse, use a meter or a test light to see if there is a draw. If there is a power drain, try unplugging the alternator. If unplugging the alternator gets rid of the power drain, you have found your fault.
If the alternator is the problem, there are a couple of higher output alternators some have used as replacements.

swift6

Yoda
The PO likely couldn't find what was flattening the battery overnight so he installed the cut off switch. Then "forgot" to tell you about. Work-a-rounds are fairly common among the great unwashed with LBC's instead of proper fixes. Find the draw, fix it and then use the cut off as a safety/theft prevention item.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
:iagree:
AS Shawn said, quick fixes far outnumber proper fixes, especially in "fun" cars. Once you've got the short or drain located, you'll be able to rest easy knowing you'll never have another electrical problem with the B. :crazyeyes:

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have the cut off behind the passenger seat. A quick reach behind and all is dead. All electrical work in my car but this was a safety measure. If you ever had to cut all power in an instant, it's a great thing to have.