• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

CT, NJ, NY power loss

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
As of May, 2020, CT residents are paying the highest rate per KWH in the continental US - 23.96. CA = 18.69. CT is now higher than Alaska and exceeded only by Hawaii. Louisiana is the lowest at about 9.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
As of my last bill, 7/23, our rate starts at 24.373 for Tier 1, and goes to 30.672 for Tier 2. CA has at least five different electric utilities, so some of the others may lower the average for CA. It's why we have solar. Our solar contract is 17.31.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
We only have two companies - Eversource (formerly CT Light & Power Co.) and United Illuminating in the Bridgeport area. I have yet to see an Eversource truck. Saw Asplundh, Optimum, Verizon, New Canaan Town trucks. People are furious. And Eversource was just granted a rate hike which has been rolled back. When this is over, I'm going to have to spend mucho dinero cutting down Maples that threaten my house. Repairman says my 40-year old York AC/furnace is probably on its last legs thought we've replaced almost every part. Our ducts don't look so hot either.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I for one am very thankful that so many out-of-state line crews are working with us here in Connecticut. More people were affected by the storm than by Hurricane Sandy, or the Great 2011 Halloween Blizzard.

Still around 90K households without power, but a huge improvement over the 700K last Wednesday.

Most folks here aren't furious at the power companies; unless all the lines are buried (like in most advanced countries ...) these disasters will continue. And no one want to pay for burying the lines. Typical that people want and need services, but don't want to pay for their modernization; we want stuff for ourselves, but not for our communities.

Yes, it's a PITA to live without electricity after a storm, especially coupled with the COVID situation. Glad my generator can power my wimpy electric chainsaw, to cut up the fallen trees and branches. I've been supplying McDonalds breakfasts to the neighbors, who have helped clear the driveways.

Thumbs up to the power line crews!

Tom the Hardy Curmudgeon.
curmudgeon.jpeg

Last edited:
Country flag
When I was a kid still living in the family home in the 70s we were at the end of one of the power company's transmission areas. What I remember was that we'd almost never lose power during a storm, but many times up to a day later, it would go out foe some amount of time. The joys of living in rural SW Ohio...

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
From Nevada: PG&E burned down towns from lack of workforce. I went to Paradise CA one year after fire only mail boxes left people living in tents and campers waiting for Ins. We have NV Energy not much better. My last two homes had all under ground power cable phone. Now we do not have weather or rain 1.75 inch since Jan. Are firefighters go to California, Australia, other states power Co. sends crews across the West. We are glad to help. Best of luck until the next storm. Ever think of moving?? Home is where the hart is. Madflyer

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Lights are flickering tonight and going off for about a second or two and my circuit breaker is cycling on and off. Light got dim again with ac on. I turned it off. Things won't be normal until all trees removed and all wires back in place. I don't want a fire. I'll call my electrician tomorrow.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Eight linemen from Tennessee showed up today. Freed up the cable, then installed a 30-35 foot high telephone pole and fastened the power lines from the street. I now have my own telephone pole. The Internet cable is still tangled up with branches and there's no sight of the Frontier cable. I'll have to call both of them tomorrow. Only bad note. These workers used some of my gasoline from a 5-gallon plastic can but they filled the can with some kind of oil or ??and warned my wife not to let me use it. What could they have possibly put in there and how and where do I get it out?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Diesel?

Talked to my cousin in Center Point,Iowa (just North of Cedar Rapids).
They got hit with a HUGE windstorm,& he told me that in CR you can hardly
fine a street without trees down.
"sail" is in Cedar Rapids.I hope he's doing well.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
2 stroke mix? Nice of them to refill your container but they should have left a note as to what they had put in the can.

David