• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

COVID tasks - today's question photos

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
How about the boxes of ancient photos from a film camera! They are all of the moment and un-replaceable, so I thought I'd buy a photo copier and save them as a digital file, problem there is, I'd have to put it in my will that the grand-kids have to finish the job! Plus, they would have to figure out what each one is about, since I can't remember anyway. :highly_amused:

that's the next job - unfortunately Mrs JP refuses to engage

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
that's the next job - unfortunately Mrs JP refuses to engage

I'm missing something. If Mrs. JP doesn't want to get involved, how does that make Mr. JP unable to do the job?

:confused:

Last edited:
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm missing something. If Mrs. JP doesn't want to get involved, how does that make Mr. JP unable to do the job?

:confused:

Because the print photos belong to both and since many will be trashed (how many pics of unknown buildings and trees do we need?) it's the sort of thing that we both need to see before it can be pitched.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Because the print photos belong to both and since many will be trashed (how many pics of unknown buildings and trees do we need?) it's the sort of thing that we both need to see before it can be pitched.

Aha! So if she doesn't want to be involved ... seems ... that you could "take the burden off her" and do the work! Especially if many will be trashed.

Just sayin'

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Aha! So if she doesn't want to be involved ... seems ... that you could "take the burden off her" and do the work! Especially if many will be trashed.

Just sayin'

you're single aren't you Tom? :grin:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I agree with Tom. I went thru one box and left the throw aways where they could be seen. Well, all I heard is next time make sure I'm there. It isn't a single thing but after 47 yrs you have to know what buttons to push.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Haven't been around much - NAMI keeping me busy 7 days a week. I've had this Ship for a couple years but the display case I had for it never had any glass. I finally got around to ordering some tempered glass for this case to keep the dust off the "Flying Fish". Ordered from an outfit in Oregon. Measured 100 times, ordered once. Glass came today and I managed to install it all by myself without breaking anything! Now back to doing other things.
Office_Ship.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks great boss. I have a model boat that I bought to celebrate my daughter's birthday (she turned 29 last month). Thought I might get around to finishing it. :smile:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I agree with Tom. I went thru one box and left the throw aways where they could be seen. Well, all I heard is next time make sure I'm there. It isn't a single thing but after 47 yrs you have to know what buttons to push.

Congrats to you. Sounds like you know how a long-time partnership can work!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Looks great boss. I have a model boat that I bought to celebrate my daughter's birthday (she turned 29 last month). Thought I might get around to finishing it. :smile:

I wish I could take credit for building it, but actually I won it in a raffle. It sat in my former boss's office for years and when he left the company he decided to raffle it off rather than haul it home. He donated the proceeds to charity (Cancer I think). I bought several tickets and ended up winning. The glass in the display case had been broken years earlier and he never had it replace. It's been on my bucket list to replace that glass for a long time.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Basil - what's the back story of that Flying Fish model? I wonder why your boss had it - maybe a family connection?

There have been two Flying Fish submarines in the USN, and one USS Flying Fish schooner back in the early 19th century.

Thanks.
Tom M.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great! - now let's see you get it into a bottle.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Spending my military time in the Navy, I was always partial to the old square riggers and thought how great it would be to take working cruse on one. Everyone has their passion, mine is the old sailing ships. Super nice model Basil! PJ

Haven't been around much - NAMI keeping me busy 7 days a week. I've had this Ship for a couple years but the display case I had for it never had any glass. I finally got around to ordering some tempered glass for this case to keep the dust off the "Flying Fish". Ordered from an outfit in Oregon. Measured 100 times, ordered once. Glass came today and I managed to install it all by myself without breaking anything! Now back to doing other things.View attachment 63703

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That is a great looking model. So much painstaking work involved to get that level of detail.

My COVID task may relate to Square riggers. Climbing the rigging to set the sails.

When I was cleaning the gutters I noticed that the vent pipe rain collars were looking bad. The Georgia sun had done a number on the seals, 4 of them were easy to change as they were close to the roof ridge. The last one is about 3' from the eave and it is a second story roof (an 8 x 12 pitch). I was not comfortable coming that close to the edge of the roof. I did it when I was building the house but that was 30 years ago.
I finally decided that I could reach the vent pipe from a ladder with a stretch. Set the extension ladder up to one from the last step on it's extension. The ladder seems much heavier than it was years ago. Also it seems much narrower at the top when I have it extended out that far.
Got the collar fitted with no incidents and the ladder back in it's storage. Very happy that is done and be back on the ground.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - "You're a better man than I am, GungaDin"

I get dizzy and light headed just looking at ladders.

Congrats on the victory - but go easy on the risky stuff. Bread isn't (very) risky.

Tom M.