• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Covers at side of H frame over the trans tunnel...ideas please.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looking for ideas on what to do about side covers for the H frame on the trans tunnel, as I intend to fit a radio.
Have made up a template in cardboard as one idea, intending to use some alloy sheet cut to size and painted the same colour as the H frame.

Attachments

• DSCF3046.jpg
    DSCF3046.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 145

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Malbaby,
So you want your car to be "refined and pretty"?
The TR6 uses covers like what you are thinking of. Those are made out of cardboard with a vinyl covering. Material similar to trunk panel that covers the fuel tank.
Charley

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Malbaby, you are looking for console pads or knee pads. I thought that mine came from Moss via The Healey Factory in Melbourne, but I cannot find them in either the Moss or Rimmer catalogues. They were vinyl over foam over MDF board. After a couple of removals and replacements, they broke in the middle where the board was thinnest. I removed the vinyl and foam and remade the panels in ply. Some of them came with speaker holes, but I think that ply or alloy is too thin to give a firm mount for a reasonable speaker and the sound is going into the footwell. I have MX5 seats with the speakers in the headrests.

You have to allow clearance at the bottom of the panel to allow the heat to get to your feet from your heater.
TR knee pads.jpg

OP
M

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks guys....I had not thought of making side covers extending to the floor....I will make up some templates to see how it looks to me.

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Normally the kidney pads that TRF sells are for TR6's because the H-frame on a TR6 has a small ledge built into it toward the top of the legs to support the front of the kidney pad. Since I wanted kidney pads on my TR250, I bought a TR6 H-frame and am just holding onto my TR250 H-Frame in case I want to go back to original. The ledge is not built into the metal of the H-frame but is formed out of the "foam" under the vinyl cover.
Regards,
Bob

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks guys....I had not thought of making side covers extending to the floor....I will make up some templates to see how it looks to me.

They don't go to the floor. They have a metal bracket that fits over the lip on the back of the H bracket and they go
all the way to the firewall. You have to make your own bracket to fix them to the firewall. You can use the fixing bolts for the overdrive relay on the left hand side and make you own on the right hand side. The narrow centre section lets the hot (??!!) air from the heater go down in the approximate direction of your feet.

Their only real functions are to hide the mess of English wiring, the side of the radio and to give a softer surface for your leg to rest against. All important issues.:encouragement:
Sidepads.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
A Velcro seat belt wrap (sold at most auto parts departments) can be used on the dash support to provide some padding for the driver's right knee:

TR4%20Dash%20Support_zpsflpghsg1.jpg

OP
M

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks again,
I did not know that there were 2 different types of H frames.
I was originally thinking of just hiding the radio and wiring, but now side pads for legs is a worthwhile idea.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The TR4A H frame or dash support is the one pictured in the earlier photos while the TR4 is the one in the later photo. I doubt they are interchangeable without a lot of work.
Charley