• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cool Picture thread

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Once again, I have no idea what is going on but I gotta cudos to anyone who tries to put that much dress in that little car!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oops, snuck into the picture

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've started a "Celebrity Healeys" thread here: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/819634/1/Celebrity_Healeys I'm enjoying researching well-known Healey owners and there are a lot of Sprite owners in the mix. I think finding out that Donna Mae Mims "Think Pink" Sprite was originally owned by Dr. Jonas Salk, the creator of the polio vaccine is one of the more interesting:

1zfj6tc.jpg

2hevk1v.jpg

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
And another of my favorites:

152mh5h.jpg

WEST BERLIN, West Germany — Just after midnight on May 5, 1963, a red Austin Healey Sprite approached the barrier on the eastern side of the Berlin Wall at Checkpoint Charlie. The top of the sports car was down, the windshield was missing, and at the wheel was Heinz Meixner, 20, an Austrian lathe operator.

He showed his passport to the East German guard, who waved him on to the customs shed. But instead of stopping for inspection, Meixner gunned the engine, skidded around the slalom course of barriers and--ducking his head--whizzed blindly under the three-foot-high steel-lift barrier and into West Berlin
Behind the seat was his East German fiancee, Margarete Thurau, and in the trunk her 48-year-old mother.

SMART THINKING - Put the MiL in the trunk when the Stasi opens up with the machine guns!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Apparently they had built a small brick wall in the back of the trunk- they were expecting the Stasi to open fire.
BillM

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The "Freedom Sprite' worked a second time:

The exploit, and the Sprite, received international publicity. Several months later Norbert Konrad tried the same stunt. Although born in Germany, Konrad had an Argentine passport. He had fallen in love with an East German woman, Helga Werner, but the authorities refused permission for her to emigrate. Although concerned that the guards at Checkpoint Charlie might be particularly suspicious of sports cars, Konrad rented an Austin-Healey Sprite at a West Berlin agency.

As Helga huddled in the trunk, Konrad drove toward the East Berlin checkpoint. En route, an East Berlin policeman stopped him; Konrad was certain he had been discovered. He relaxed when the policeman pointed to a loose fitting on the exhaust pipe and told him to have it repaired. Konrad gladly fixed it, then resumed his drive.

At the checkpoint Konrad showed his passport, and the guard directed him to the customs office. Instead, Konrad stepped on the gas, raced for the barrier, ducked his head under the 37 1/2-inch-high horizontal pole and skidded into West Berlin. Konrad later returned the car to the rental agency and was incredulous when he learned it was the same vehicle Heinz Meixner had used. Several weeks later Konrad and Werner were married.

The trick worked twice, but no more. To prevent a third Sprite escape, the East Germans embedded steel bars in the concrete beneath the barrier.

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
HealeyRick said:
The "Freedom Sprite' worked a second time:

The exploit, and the Sprite, received international publicity. Several months later Norbert Konrad tried the same stunt. Although born in Germany, Konrad had an Argentine passport. He had fallen in love with an East German woman, Helga Werner, but the authorities refused permission for her to emigrate. Although concerned that the guards at Checkpoint Charlie might be particularly suspicious of sports cars, Konrad rented an Austin-Healey Sprite at a West Berlin agency.

As Helga huddled in the trunk, Konrad drove toward the East Berlin checkpoint. En route, an East Berlin policeman stopped him; Konrad was certain he had been discovered. He relaxed when the policeman pointed to a loose fitting on the exhaust pipe and told him to have it repaired. Konrad gladly fixed it, then resumed his drive.

At the checkpoint Konrad showed his passport, and the guard directed him to the customs office. Instead, Konrad stepped on the gas, raced for the barrier, ducked his head under the 37 1/2-inch-high horizontal pole and skidded into West Berlin. Konrad later returned the car to the rental agency and was incredulous when he learned it was the same vehicle Heinz Meixner had used. Several weeks later Konrad and Werner were married.

The trick worked twice, but no more. To prevent a third Sprite escape, the East Germans embedded steel bars in the concrete beneath the barrier.

This is my new inspiration. Thanks for this!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think the car is in a museum in Berlin?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well, it's been a few days but, I am finding some more. There rally aren't a lot of Spridget pics out there compared to more exotic cars, but....

I love love love this! And if I were ever to do another Spridget I think I would go for the airport racer look.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have been trying real hard to only post Spridgets but I just love this picture,

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I love this picture for so many reasons. I am pretty sure we see an Innocenti in the bottom left corner. - BTW my first car looked very much the same as the Citroen Safari (wagon) in the top right corner.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And finally (for now) this picture may just sustain me till I can get Ms Triss out of hibernation for the summer.