• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Considering an MGTF, how much $$$

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Long story short; my 73 year old father has decided that he wants a TF. Not a show car or a restoration project. He want's to drive. Now. I found a '54 near me, the particulars are:

One owner for the last 30 years
always maintained by a professional-that I know and respect his work-
repainted 15+ years ago, still looks good, a few stone chips/scratches but shiny (black)
I think the leather (red) is original, heavy cracking but no rips.
bad aftermarket steering wheel (that has to go), original wheel is not with the car.
wire wheels
engine is '63 MGB
gearbox, front disk brakes, diff are all MGA
The car is currently running/driving/registered. Reported to have no rust, no mechanical issues, and never been crashed.
may or may not include a 30 year old, never been installed top and frame. Owner thinks he has them but can't remember as of yet.
Asking price is $19,500

Too much? Good deal? If I go look at it, what areas should I pay closest attention to? Does the MGB/A running gear hurt the current/future value?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Decent price. As always, if that's the asking price, offer a couple of grand less and see what the seller says.

The TF is really climbing in value. There's some nice ones currently on e-Bay with "Buy-It Now" prices in $35,000 range.

To some, the 3-main MGB motor and disk brakes may be off-putting, but since you're looking for a "driver", I'd say these are useful additions (it would be nice if all the original parts came with the car, but not a deal breaker.

The real questions is the <span style="text-decoration: underline">true</span> condition of the body and frame. Look carefully. Rebuilding the wood/metal components of these cars can be quite a chore (and expensive).

By the way, hats off to your Dad! I hope to have the same spunk when I'm his age!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Steve, 3 cheers for your dad! I applaud his get up and go attitude. Even though the car isn't correct as a show car, if it's a driver and looks pretty good, runs good and very few dollars has to be spent on it, I'd say the price is fair. As Nial said, check out the wood in the car as best you can. Replacing wood in these 1950s cars that they used 1930s technology to build them, is a major undertaking, but, if everything is hanging together, buy it for your dad and let him enjoy it. JMHO. PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
As a driver, the engine/gearbox/disc brakes are a nice addition. I love T-series MGs, but they are not fast cars. The engine swap would definitely quicken things up.

That said, I would expect that the swap would lower the value, at least a bit. I don't know much on the values of these, but the swap would give you some bargaining room.

And even knowing your woodworking skills, you don't want to be replacing the wood in these cars.

OP
AN5Sprite

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
aeronca65t said:
By the way, hats off to your Dad! I hope to have the same spunk when I'm his age!

I don't know where to begin...If any of us wind up with 1/2 the spunk factor that he has, we'll be doing just fine.

This TF urge is out of the blue. Or is it? I can't tell. He's always interested in what I'm up to with the Sprite(s) He seems to have gotten bored with his Corvette...and his race car.

One thing I know for sure is when he's serious and he's being serious so I'm going to try to make sure he ends up with a good car.

Paul, I have a feeling that you and he could swap stories for hours.

Country flag
I have a 54 MG TF 1250. Good solid car. runs drives. Paint is dead. Good wood correct original, matching # engine. Top bad, side curtains good. $15K. Paul161 bought his TF from me a couple of years ago. PM if interested.

Marv

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Man,I'm getting old - I thought this was referring to the new TF.
I HATE it when they use the old letters.

- Doug

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
AngliaGT said:

- Doug

:iagree: 100% Stupid move on someones part. Proves they didn't give two hoots about the original series! PJ

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hey! I'm a 73-year-old father/grandfather/great-grandfather, and my '74 B-GT now sports a T-9 Sierra 5-speed and an Acme-upgraded engine. So far I know it will get to about 90 pretty handily, with more to be had. Pretty sure there are more of us old farts with "spunk" than you might think.
Harry

Attachments

• 29275.jpg
    29275.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 98

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
AngliaGT said:

- Doug

:iagree: 100% Stupid move on someones part. Proves they didn't give two hoots about the original series! PJ

Very smart move on someone's part - can you say Marketing?
grin.gif
Rule #1 (or so) Leverage an existing name. Ever been thus. MG Midget. We may not like it but it is (with a very few exceptions) an very smart move.

OP
AN5Sprite

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Update: After more emails with the owner and seeing more pics of the car, I decided the TF in question wasn't even worth going to see in person. While that was happening I picked up a lead on a '51 TD that seemed like it was going to be a good deal...Dad made the 200 mile drive up here with a pile of cash and...An agreement could not be reached. With 8 hours of hind-sight there are two statements that are ringing in my ears: 1. "The paint just needs to be buffed"...(no, that's not true. It needs to be stripped off.) 2. "EVERY gauge, knob, switch, light etc is working as it should"... (accept that one, and this one and I don't know what that would do if it did work and that would work if it were wired up...)

Moving on.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry to hear it, Steve. Bummer your dad had to waste his time there.

Hopefully the hunt continues.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
On the plus side, you and your father got some together time pursuing a common interest. At 200 miles apart I imagine you're not seeing each other all the time.

There's one out there, just keep looking.

OP
AN5Sprite

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
MikeP said:
On the plus side, you and your father got some together time pursuing a common interest. At 200 miles apart I imagine you're not seeing each other all the time.

There's one out there, just keep looking.

Very true. It was a good time regardless.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Steve, PM sent! PJ

OP
AN5Sprite

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Well... my father wound up with a '55 TF. Looks to be a really nice example of a low milage survivor. It was just delivered 2 days ago and I haven't seen it in person yet but Dad's happy. Thanks to Paul161 for the tip that set the whole thing in motion. :thankyousign:
This is the only pic I could come up with. I'll post more after I take some.

Attachments

• 29791.jpg
    29791.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 158

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Steve, Great news! Glad I could have been of help. May your dad have many happy years of driving it. PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Woohoo! :cheers:

Makes me long for a T-series car... can't, but I still want one!