• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Confused about top down driving weather [off topic]

Country flag
I was unable to drive my spridgets and enjoy yesterday's great weather. But while I was out driving the boring kid transporter I noticed several modern convertibles with the tops lowered. Many had the windows in the UP position. What is the point of that? These were not women trying to protect their hair style. These were grown men in BMWs. I think they should have their "man card" revoked. Just saying...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Top down, AC on? just a thought. Otherwise I am with you.

nomad

Yoda
I was unable to drive my spridgets and enjoy yesterday's great weather. But while I was out driving the boring kid transporter I noticed several modern convertibles with the tops lowered. Many had the windows in the UP position. What is the point of that? These were not women trying to protect their hair style. These were grown men in BMWs. I think they should have their "man card" revoked. Just saying...

:highly_amused: AGREE!!

Kurt.

Country flag
When I was a teenager back in the xxxxxx's, that was one of the most uncool things you could do :smile:

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Have you ever heard what Jeremy and the other fellows of Top Gear say about owners of BMW's? If you have, enough said :smile:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Some people, and I am not saying whom, may like the "look" rather than the ride.........put the wind blocker on, roll up the windows (in my case, figure out how to put the weather stripping into the aluminum frame side curtains and put them on.....remembering to put painter's tape on the aluminum door panels (scratches otherwise)) and enjoy the sun!

G

What I don't understand is folks driving top-up in top-down weather.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I use the top on my MGB frequently, especially if I have a longer transit to do (think freeway). It's substantially less fatiguing that way -- and yes, I have on occasion rolled up the driver's window to cut down the wind blast and noise from time to time. Lots of ways folks can enjoy these cars.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Sorry Drew ... I don't understand. When I used my Midget as a daily driver the top was up if it was too rainy or cold, when the weather was nice the top was down along with the windows. I never considered putting the windows up when the top is down. If I didn't want to be windblown then I'd put the top up.

I also do not understand why people put on sunblock and then lay out in the sun. Maybe my inner "George Carlin" is coming out.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
In everyone's opinion, how cold is too cold for top down driving? I figure as long as there isn't snow on the ground...

I ride my road bicycle in temps down to about 38 degrees without any problems, and have ridden mountain bikes as cold as 15 degrees (it usually seems warmer and less exposed in the woods, even if the temps are actually colder then when you are out on a road bike), so I'm definitely not afraid of the cold.

I never got the windows up / top down driving either. I thought it was some secret code that convertible owners had.

RickB

Yoda
Maybe my inner "George Carlin" is coming out.

That's ok Trevor, Wil Wheaton was just heard hollering the old man chant: "Get off my lawn..."
In case you don't remember, he was the little kid Wesley Crusher on Star Trek Next Generation.
You know you're getting old when you hear that.

1974MGMidget

Trevor, we wonder the same thing. When the wife and I are cruising around with the top and windows down in nice weather, we see other people in their convertibles with the tops up and wonder why. Or, we see them with the top down and the windows up and wonder why. My wife doesn't like to ride with the top up, she says she can't see all the great scenery. And, we travel that way when its cold. We just layer clothes and I have an electric blanket that plugs into the lighter socket. I wrap the wife up and tuck the ends under her and she's pretty happy! And, the Midget heater works pretty well to keep us above freezing!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry Drew ... I don't understand. When I used my Midget as a daily driver the top was up if it was too rainy or cold, when the weather was nice the top was down along with the windows. I never considered putting the windows up when the top is down. If I didn't want to be windblown then I'd put the top up.

A case of to each their own. On the MGB the side windows really don't do much for wind protection, but I can see it on modern cars with better aero. Sometimes you just want the endless sky without the wind.

I have a friend here with a great fleet of LBCs who never, unless the rain is really hard, puts the top up. Never. Me, I figure the MGB top works nicely and use it if it's chilly in the morning -- why not be comfortable? I'll use it if it's too hot, just zip down the rear window and enjoy the shade.

I guess I like the idea of the car as truly convertible -- meaning it can be closed or open as I want it to be.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Of course this from a man for whom <after uglybug> roll up windows are a new thing - maybe you never consider it because you've never had them. :jester:

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
Trevor, we wonder the same thing. When the wife and I are cruising around with the top and windows down in nice weather, we see other people in their convertibles with the tops up and wonder why. Or, we see them with the top down and the windows up and wonder why. My wife doesn't like to ride with the top up, she says she can't see all the great scenery. And, we travel that way when its cold. We just layer clothes and I have an electric blanket that plugs into the lighter socket. I wrap the wife up and tuck the ends under her and she's pretty happy! And, the Midget heater works pretty well to keep us above freezing!

I can see the two of you now!!! :cool:

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
.... I figure as long as there isn't snow on the ground....
We didn't bother putting up the top last time I drove my Jensen with snow on the ground. Loved it, it was beautiful.

If we had been wearing something heavier than t-shirts it would have been perfect.

pc

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I love driving with the top down, oddly enough I generally don't like the wind from a hardtop with the windows rolled down, especially at highway speeds, but I find the that drving an old british roadster on the highway for hours with the top down is like total immmersian therapy or something, it clears my mind and relaxes me. that being said I too run around for long trips with the top up more often these days, I fried my skin way to often over the years and have had a few cancerous spots taken off (the slow growing kind, but cancer nonetheless according to the doc) so have finally started to be a little more careful. I sort of have to laugh at the skin cancer exposure questions where they ask if you have gotten a severe sunburn three or more times in your life or something like that, worked and played in the sun all the time growing up, burned then tanned over and over again, then toured around in roadsters on long highways trips in my mid years and fried myself again, oh well, wouldn't do it different if I had to do it over again...too many great memories.

nomad

Yoda
For a few years my wife and I had a tradition of doing a Christmas light tour sans top. Haven't done it now for a while....must be an age thing!

Agree with all except on a long hi-way trip, when its hot, then you can't beat running with the top up and rear window zipped out.

Kurt.

1974MGMidget

X2! Cruising along the back roads, past farms and pastures with the lack of big trucks and billboards, is just the best therapy. No matter how many farms we pass, my wife still squeals like a little girl every time we pass baby farm animals! Earlier this year on the way somewhere, we passed two large cows that had gotten out and were jogging along the side of the road. I could swear they were smiling!!

RickB

Yoda
For a few years my wife and I had a tradition of doing a Christmas light tour sans top. Haven't done it now for a while....must be an age thing!

Agree with all except on a long hi-way trip, when its hot, then you can't beat running with the top up and rear window zipped out.

Kurt.

I totally agree about long drives, having the top up and the back window zipped down was the only way to go on the trip to Midget 50 and back.
We tried top down for about 30 minutes, got sunburned and put the top back up!