• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

complete trim kits

dh100m

icon3.png
advise on where to purchase a complete interior, carpets seats ect and to quality of them who produces the most original items
Cheers tony for bn2

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
I have purchased three complete interior kits from Heritage in Vancouver. Very happy with them and one of them was for a BN2. The only thing to question them on is the heel pad for the drivers carpet. Mine is incorrect but I bought it six or eight years ago. Overall quality is superb.

Tech396

Country flag
After a painstaking attempt to deal with Heritage, I can only advise avoiding them at all cost..
I was given back broken parts, rear seats made from the wrong material, heel pad incorrect, wrong year door trim,lost original parts, and the list goes on after a 9 month ordeal.

I have purchased three complete interior kits from Heritage in Vancouver. Very happy with them and one of them was for a BN2. The only thing to question them on is the heel pad for the drivers carpet. Mine is incorrect but I bought it six or eight years ago. Overall quality is superb.

Country flag
Granted, it's a lower cost, and likely not as authentic as Heritage, but I am completely satisfied with the complete__carpet, seat covers & panel kit__from Moss Motors.

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

Five (>5) years later, the material is still holding up well, with no evident wear (except where the stowed soft top rubbed rear qtr pnls, but, that's the fault of the aluminum trim on the top than the interior).

Country flag
"... completely satisfied with the complete__carpet, seat covers & panel kit__from Moss Motors"

Very nice! Did you do the interior yourself? I too am mostly satisfied with the full kit we got from Moss. Couple things were slightly mis-cut, and they sent two floor mats for one side instead of one of each, but a phone call solved that. Also noticed that some of the Moss pieces aren't trimmed--like your footwell pieces are--like some of the pricier kit.

Moss has regular sales on upholstery kits, and if you buy the whole shebang you should qualify for their lifetime 'good customer' discount of 10% on all subsequent purchases. NFI; I've just been buying from Moss for years and generally been happy with quality and service. Their lead customer technical support person--Michael Grant--does his very best to ensure quality parts (unfortunately, sometimes their suppliers aren't so conscientious--can we say 'County' here without getting censored?).

Someone commented on another thread that the battery cover--of a BN1/2--was the hardest part, but it looked to be the simplest to me so I started with it to get the hang of the stretching, gluing, etc. To me, the trickiest part was the parcel shelf--like doing origami.

Country flag
Bob: I did do the interior myself__first time ever doing seat covers__so there were things I had learned, and would do differently the next time around! I'd already done carpet & door/side panels sets in other LBCs (MGB & MGBGTs and a TR4) so those areas went really well on the Healey, but I should've used some upholstery foam between the seat covers and the molded cushions (instead of carpet padding__SMH__) to get smoother lines.

I considered those to be my starter seats all along, so they're vinyl instead of leather. At some point, I'll redo them with leather, correct padding, etc.

I had a single issue with Moss on the 2-seater specific rear side panels, in that the wooden pieces were assembled incorrectly__the RH structural piece was fitted upside down to the LH panel board and vice versa. ONE (1) phone call, with a detailed explanation and new pieces were shipped out pretty quickly__they're not "stocked items" so they had to be made again__but still done as a First Priority and I'm sure I received them inside of two (<2) weeks. I was satisfied with their quality, initial shipping time__again, kits were made to order, and it was during one of their frequent upholstery sale promotions__and how well AND QUICKLY they handled my problem.

For anyone else doing a 6-cyl 2-seater, the rear quarter trims are unique (to the BN6/7) and did require some additional shaping (by cutting & sanding) the wooden pieces adjacent to the door's B-pillar. My only real complaint was that the vinyl was already glued down, so that required some careful peeling back before I could whittle away at the wood (a little bit at a time, so as to not go too far...). Had I known that before the replacement qtr pnls were sent, I would've requested them in a partial state of assembly. It really wasn't a big deal to correct, and after spending time on the first side, an hour at most, I was able to sail through the second one.

I took A TON of pictures while doing the interior, so may be of benefit to someone else doing the same job: https://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/Healey-at-home/Interior_Makeover?page=1

The masking and books for when the seat cushion pleats were glued down, and 50Lb sack of corn for the backrest pleats should be the best take-aways of the pictures! And DON'T use the carpet padding foam__all I could find local on a Friday night__between the seat covers and foam cushions (you'll see what I mean if you think you can put the covers directly on the molded foam__the originals had some sort of padded cotton/linen between them for smoothing).

You'll want to have a huge assortment of spring-loaded gluing clamps on hand, in lots of sizes, and I used a large quantity of paint-stirrer sticks to "pad" between the clamps and vinyl.

Trimming the wood to get the rear qtrs to fit...

IMG_2941.jpg

Taking a little slice at a time!

IMG_2946.jpg

Finished and fitted (what looks like a lump is a reflection off the chrome s/screen wingnut)

IMG_2976.jpg

Masking and gluing pleats

IMG_0463.jpg

Weighting them down overnight, before continuing assembly

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Ditto the backrests (I had the corn on hand for feeding our ducks...)

IMG_0554.jpg

You have to be in the right frame of mind doing the interior, and if you get frustrated, WALK AWAY for an hour or so; for the best results, I needed to be patient, and take my time.

Country flag
I sprung for leather seats but paid a pro to do them (83-year-old who's been doing car upholstery since he was 13). He said they were a real PITA because he had to do a lot of trimming of the foam. One flaw in one seat bottom was a seam that wasn't cut or sewed exactly right, so there's a slight 'dogleg' on the edge of it (I think this might even out a little after my 190lb corn sack has sat in it for a few thousand miles).

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I also used the MOSS kit on my car. No complaints. I have leather, and comparing it to my TR3A, the leather is thinner, but holds up well. No problems after 6 years. I like the TR3A color better, but I got to choose the leather skin for that. One of the guys in our local club does upholstery, he said, buy a kit and let him install it. He will make it look perfect. I have not used his skills yet, but he basically says he can't make the kit for the price they sell.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Another vote here for Moss. I did it all myself and again the only thing that was not plug and play was the fine fitting of the foam to match the contours of the seat pleats. I actually added and sculpted some foam on the back rests. If I wouldn't it would have felt deflated. All in all was fairly straight forward just think the installation through and test fit every thing as you go.

Attachments

• 2013-03-27 008.jpg
    2013-03-27 008.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 2013-03-27 010.jpg
    2013-03-27 010.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 118

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My interior is also from Moss. The BN4 seats are the same as the BN2 seats. They don't have as many colors as some suppliers, but they worked just fine for me.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I have used kits from Moss, Heritage, AH Spares and John Skinner. Highly recommend the two Brit firms and very pleased with the interior I got from John Skinner for my 100M. Pricing is competitive to Moss even with the freight costs from UK and I feel the quality is a bit better. Check them out before you decide.
Regards
Mike