• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Common Years for Austin-Healey 3000 frames

gegrunt

Freshman Member
I am trying to determine just how many years the frames for these cars were the same. According to Wikipedia the 3000 was first introduced in 1959 and was produced until the end of 1967 when production of Austin Healeys ceased. Then the article goes on to say that a BJ8 model was built in 1968. Was this BJ8 car based on the same frame that the BN4, BN6, BN7, BT7 and BJ7 cars were built on?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Was this BJ8 car based on the same frame that the BN4, BN6, BN7, BT7 and BJ7 cars were built on?

NO this was a BJ8 car that was not shipped until 1968.

OP
G

gegrunt

Freshman Member
Thank you for the quick reply, do you think that all the Mark I and Mark II frames were the same from 1959-1963?

jstmorris

Country flag
R2 Chassis BN4-BJ7.jpgCHASSIS DESIGN-AMENDED Ba.jpg Good Day; Here are two diagrams of the frame that was used for the 6 cyl Healey up to MkIII BJ8 Phase 1. the first is from the workshop manual and the second is based on an original factory blueprint. Hope this helps.
--Scott
PS: The second diagram can also be found mid-page at the AHC of Southern Ontario website
https://www.ahcso.com/detail.aspx?menu=59&app=299&cat1=764&tp=2&lk=no&title=Technical+Articles

Last edited:

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am trying to determine just how many years the frames for these cars were the same. According to Wikipedia the 3000 was first introduced in 1959 and was produced until the end of 1967 when production of Austin Healeys ceased. Then the article goes on to say that a BJ8 model was built in 1968. Was this BJ8 car based on the same frame that the BN4, BN6, BN7, BT7 and BJ7 cars were built on?

BJ8 production began in October 1963 and ended in December 1967. What the Wikipedia article meant to say, I believe, is that one additional BJ8 was produced in March 1968 after the production line shut down at the end of December. That car was built in the "Show Shop". The frame for Phase 1 BJ8s was the same as that for BJ7s. I do not know if the BJ7 frame was the same as earlier 3000 models. The frame changed for Phase 2 BJ8s at the rear to give additional ground clearance and to provide a different way of locating the rear axle (parallel radius arms rather than the Panhard rod of BJ7s and Phase 1 BJ8s). The frame for the last BJ8 was the same as the other Phase 2 cars.

Last edited: