Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Grit gets embedded in the original leather seal, and cuts a groove into the surface of the input flange (where the seal rides). This can make new seals start leaking immediately. If you can't readily polish the surface until no mark is visible, it's Speedi-Sleeve time.
But check the vent first. I've never had a problem with it, but it's sure a lot easier to check than the input flange.
I agree! Rebuilt mine last year and put a cap on the vent to keep dirt from getting in. When I was finally ready to drive a year later, the brand new seal was seeping. At first I thought I screwed up the rebuild, but then I checked the oil level and the oil came shooting out. It finally occured to me that the plug was in place...removed it and the level dropped and leak ended.
That pressure was just from the temperature changes from the cold weather when I had added the fluid and capped the vent last winter. I know that when I bought the car the vent was also totally clogged by grunge.
You can see the cap in this photo:
Lesson learned about temp changes and the need for vents!
But the point is - don't do that (and assure that little pipe sticking up is not clogged). A bent wire inserted into it is how I check -- use a wire long enough there is no chance of losing it in there.
We use those for pneumatic valve exhaust port mufflers at work. They should work fine as a vent. Air flow capacity is high, but that stone filter, or whatever it is, can and will plug up with dirt. That's when the cylinders start moving very slow.
I tried one in the OD, but it seemed like it leaked more than the original. Didn't particularly investigate, but I'm guessing that the gears threw a layer of oil onto the inside of the filter, which then got pushed through when the air warmed up and escaped through the filter.
But I could have been mistaken; or the same thing might not happen with the diff.
Just seems like a lot of dirt would fall in that open hole in the original breather. I guess it's not important if you follow the factory recommended change interval, but I have a bad tendency to let it go a lot longer than 6000 miles.
I just always put a length of vinyl tubing on the vent, curl it over to the axle and clip it there, and then let it dangle a few inches below the axle. The movement of the free end of the tube keeps the dirt cleaned out.
I just always put a length of vinyl tubing on the vent, curl it over to the axle and clip it there, and then let it dangle a few inches below the axle.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.