Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Yes I am. My original had those measurements.
Of course, as said in a previous, they may have been
stamped on a fri afternoon after several pints of bitters !
Harry
I'm under the impression that the Brits arrived late at the metric party -- possibly suspecting it was a trap devised by the French -- and were still in the Imperial world in the 60s.
My TR4s plate looks very like same size characters for numbers & letters but perhaps 4As differed in that respect.
For my replacement I used the 1/8" set from Harbor Freight -- the font is close but the '3' is of a slightly different style.
As those examples seem to show... the first 4 didgits of the number appear to have been gang-stamped and the last digit (and the L, etc) added by a gent named Nigel who was counting the hours 'til opening time at the local.
I assume the extra 'CTC's on 69123 are where Scott experimented with various stamps before making a new plate. Good idea. I practiced on a Coke can but that was rather thin to get a good feel for the effect of the hammer.
Yes, I meant to mention that the extra CTC's stamps were done by the person trying match the font when stamping my replacement (sure wish they hadn't done that )
I also noticed that the first 4 digits seemed to be stamped together and the reset done by hand.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.