• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Coil wiring

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I need some help with regards to the correct wiring hook up for the coil on my tr3a.

There are three wires:
-Red and Black from the Pertronix electronic ignition
-White from the wiring loom.

Car has been converted to Negative ground

Which terminal does the white wire go to. I disconnected it inorder to reach down by the fuel pump and cant recall which terminal it goes to.

Thanks

Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The red from the Pertronix and the white from the harness can both go to the CB terminal on the coil (or '+' if you have a later coil). Black from the Pertronix goes to SW or '-'.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The red from the Pertronix and the white from the harness can both go to the CB terminal on the coil (or '+' if you have a later coil). Black from the Pertronix goes to SW or '-'.

Isn't this for a positive gnd setup?????

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The actual connections to the coil don't matter all that much, it will still work well enough wired either way. But the red wire to the Pertronix has to have +12v, and the black wire simulates the points wire (gets grounded to charge the coil). The Pertronix module also has to be grounded through the distributor plate.

A positive ground Pertronix doesn't even have red and black wires, and gets connected between the coil and the wiring harness. You have to add a ground wire for the coil.

Here are some old (negative ground) troubleshooting instructions that might be helpful if you still have problems
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2...ZDU1LWI3YzQtZmUxYWZiM2JiZWVi/edit?usp=sharing

OP
Scotsman

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Ok,

Based on the uncertainty above I ended up calling Pertronix. Randall is correct:encouragement:! But I thought I should give some additional IMPORTANT information.

There are three different Ignitor ignitions I, II, and III. On the older Pertronix I units if the white wire is connected incorrectly the unit will be fried :mad-new: ($119.00 mistake). The II and III units are self protecting, and all that will happen (or wont happen) is that the car wont start:frown:.

I hope this helps people from making an expensive mistake.

Richard

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Are the Ignitor II and III available for TR2-4 now? They didn't used to be available for our application (or for positive ground).

OP
Scotsman

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes, they are available through Moss (see below). Just note Moss gives a 1 year warranty, while Pertronix gives a factory 2.5 year warranty.
PastedGraphic 1.jpgPastedGraphic-5.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, Richard. It seems curious that Moss didn't change their part number, nor mention that they are selling the improved Ignitor II other than the photo. Have you actually bought one from them? The old catalog also mentioned a 30 month manufacturer's warranty.

FWIW, here's a clip from the Pertronix catalog, with their part numbers. Looks like you just add '9' in front of the part number for the equivalent Ignitor.

untitled.JPG

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

gecoughenour

Country flag
Question: I am fitting a new coil that has + and - connections. Which connects to the wire from the ignition switch? This is in a positive ground TR3A.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I am fitting a new coil that has + and - connections. Which connects to the wire from the ignition switch? This is in a positive ground TR3A.

If you are using points (not Pertronix) then the white wire from the ignition goes to the - post. The white/black wire to the distributor goes on the + post.

It will run either way but I think connecting it backwards may shorten the points life.