• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Coating a exhaust manifold

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Other then ceramic coatings which we know lasts the best and is most expensive is there any other product out there that can be used that won't burn off. I seem to remember a conversation at a car show where someone used a special paint that was brushed on. Looking to do my TR3A manifold.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
If you are talking about a stock cast iron manifold, I've had good results using high temp (2000F) aerosols. The last set I did I had sand blasted first, they were on my TR8 for two years and still looked fine when I took them off (for headers).

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Eastwood also sells a manifold paint that it sounds like you are describing. You brush it on and it "cures" after the first heat soak to look just like bare cast iron...but doesn't rust.

Country flag
Had the manifolds for my Tiger blasted and did the Eastwood brush on stainless finish. Other than a few spots where I dripped oil on one looks the same as it did nearly 20 years ago when I finished rebuilding the car. Not cheap stuff, but the pint can will do 3-4 manifolds. I also used it for the downpipes to the mufflers, no rust yet.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I blasted my exhaust manifold on my MGB and spray painted it with VHT hi Temp ceramic coating. I followed their procedure for heating cycles and it still looks great...very cheap and effective.
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 90

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Got mine done by the local (to me) powder coater. Satin ceramic. $75.00 very pleased.

Elva164

Jedi Trainee
I blasted my exhaust manifold on my MGB and spray painted it with VHT hi Temp ceramic coating. I followed their procedure for heating cycles and it still looks great...very cheap and effective.
Rut

I'm pretty sure this is what we use on the race car exhaust systems and it does hold up well. It's also MUCH more durable than their black ceramic spray paint; that stuff flakes off if you as much as look at it wrong!

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
+1 on the VHT rattle can exhaust coating. I had manifold blasted at machine shop for $20 and painted with the VHT product. After 1,000 miles and 6 months, it looks primo.
Good luck.

010.jpg

Attachments

• 010 (Large).jpg
    010 (Large).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 91
OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks. I think it was Eastwoods product in my conversation. Next Monday in my routes I go by a powder coater and I wonder if I clean and sand blast it what he would charge to coat it.
It's soaking in Evapo Rust to get rid of the rust. It has worked well on other parts but so far not so well on the manifold. For some reason it won't get into the pits and there are a lot of them. So I'm probably going to do a final sand blast.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
I have used Bill Hirsch Exhaust and Manifold Cast Iron Gray paint on all my exhaust manifolds. https://www.hirschauto.com/Exhaust-And-Manifold-Coatings-Pints/products/14/

I wire brush the manifold and put on one or two coats.

It has been on my 1933 Chevrolet exhaust manifold back to the end of the tail pipe for over 45 years and I have had no issues.

Put the same thing on my TR4 manifold when I restored it a few years ago.

For my 1984 BMW 633 CSi I used the cast iron color on the manifold and Bill Hirsch bright aluminum colored manifold and exhaust paint on the remainder of the exhaust system. Time will tell if the aluminum color holds up for 45 years. I'll never know unless if live until I'm 108 year old and by then I probably won't care. https://www.hirschauto.com/EXHAUST-AND-MANIFOLD-COATING/productinfo/EMPT-PINT/

Vila

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Geez Bob, I think you should broaden your horizons a bit and not always buy the same type of old car. Seriously though that is an interesting assortment of cars you have. After years of driving and working on British cars I got an old BMW a couple years ago and it was great fun to drive and learn about working on something different.

Back on topic, I have always been impressed with the quality of Bill Hirsch products and also recommend them.

Greg

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Vila
I have a TIP tool distributer in my area and will be driving by on Friday and they show on their web site they have it in stock. Thanks for the tip and I hope you get the chance to see if it works for 45 years on your BMW