• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch-Type Differential

haasad

Jedi Hopeful
I've recently fitted a clutch type lsd (limited slip differential) in my 100/6. Unless I'm fully on the power entering corners I experience what feels like a rear steering effect as if the panhard rod or axle is loose usually towards the apex as I apply power, and it's very disconcerting. I think the diff may be too tight and locking up later than my style needs. Any thoughts?

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Haasad,

A while back I taked to a racer that installed a very expensive Quaife Helical LSD for the reason you mensioned, Locking up on turns. He indicated that the unit he installed is not clutch/plate based but gear based and will not lock. I am sorry but I have no real knowledge or experience with either unit and was very surprised when he told me what he had installed or that an LSD was even available for the Healey.

One question to you. Will the rear accept non-Healey gear sets from other manufacturers with different rations?

Sorry I can't offer any help,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Haasad--

Questions:

1. What brand LSD did you install and is it adjustable, and if the latter do you know the present settings?
2. Is the driving you are describing taking place on the streets or at a track and if the latter can you estimate your car's slip angle through the turn?
3. What kind of tires do you have fitted?

I can't be sure from what you said in your post but it sounds like your LSD is locking up abruptly and if it is adjustable as are Quaife and Tran-X you can change the ramp settings though this will require your removing the diff.

I have LSD's in all my race cars and when properly set up their engagement/disengagement happens without changing the car's attitude, etc. and you should be able to drift/slide through a turn without the diff locking up suddenly.

With respect, I would not install an LSD in a street Healey. Aside from being what I would consider an unnecessary expense and complication I rarely experience wheel spin that I cannot control with throttle modulation--usually the result of too much speed and/or a poor line through a turn.

OP
H

haasad

Jedi Hopeful
Hi. It's a hill climb and fast road car. It''s a tranx plate type and is as you describe locking suddenly upsetting the cars attitude.
Hard to estimate slip angle . I'm running vredstein sprint classics (radials).

I'm going to pull out the axle at the end of the season and have the difference ramp angles and plate configuration looked at by a pro.

Having the lsd is in my view neccesary not to waste power with wheelspin on an unloaded or tyre with less traction . I agree it's pointless on a pure street car.

Andy

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I only run Quaife Helical LSD in my vintage racer, I have 3 diffs all set-up with differnt ratios for specific tracks. The clutch type LSD, although more economical, take a lot of testing and adjustments to get them right. The Quaife is a bolt-on and go and never need to adjust or rebuilt.

REM Polished 4.3-1 Gears.jpg

OP
H

haasad

Jedi Hopeful
True but the transx is a good diff despite needing set up. If I get an unexpected windfall maybe I'll change it. But for now I'll work with what I have. Annoying that in my 911 R replica one of these works perfectly first time albeit a bit noisy in operation which I don't mind.