• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch Replacement

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
While my TR3 gearbox is out for repair, I also want to replace my clutch and T/O bearing. Should I also replace the pressure plate? I notice Moss has a 3-piece kit but I don't know if it is necessary.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My opinion : Don't replace the pressure plate (or the TOB for that matter) unless there is something detectably wrong with it.

If there is a problem with the PP (like the friction surface is discolored), you might want to get the flywheel surfaced as well.

OP
RedTR3

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
Hi Randall,

I am curious why you recommend not to replace the TOB as long as the gearbox is out - (I am not sure of the age of the bearing)

Tim

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Don't know Randall's reasoning but I had a replacement TOB fail after 5,000 miles. Fortunately I had saved the old one (it was the original), reinstalled it and has been fine for 5 or 6 years now.

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

In all my years of playing with LBCs & "Other" cars; It was "ALWAYS" recommended to replace all "3pcs" when redoing a clutch.

I did mine just a few months ago but I have`nt driven the car as of yet (Under Restoration) & I forgot where I bought the 3pcs kit from? It was one of the "BIG 3".

If anything would fail within 5K mi; I sure would be awfully "Pis__ed-Off".

Regards, Russ

Country flag
I have to stay with Randall. If you have a good working clutch, continue to use it. Some of the new "kits" just don't last or work. Do inspect the existing clutch for wear. Look at the arms were the TOB runs. If worn replace. Clutch plate, if the rivets are close to the surface, change it. TOB rattles or dry sounding replace it.

Marv

OP
RedTR3

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
OK, I am not exactly sure what the sound of a bad T/O bearing is, but mine does have a high pitch whine when depressed - not real loud but noticeable. Is this normal?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
RedTR3 said:
OK, I am not exactly sure what the sound of a bad T/O bearing is, but mine does have a high pitch whine when depressed - not real loud but noticeable. Is this normal?

My opinion, but I would replace the bearing if you are hearing noise. At least for the TR3-4 range of cars I don't believe there has been significant issues on quality of replacement bearings. TR4A-6 yes though. I think Geo may have just been unlucky!

p.s edit: I'm either very unlucky or it happens all too frequently: if you change out the bearing make sure it is the one for the TR3-4. I've pulled 3 gearboxes in recent memory - 2 out of 3 had the later style TR4A-6 bearing, and those same 2 had ruined pressure plates because the fingers had worn down from the wrong bearing.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Definitely if it is making noise, replace it. A simple test off the car is to lay the face on the floor and stand on the bearing. Do a pirouette; any roughness or resistance is reason to replace the bearing.

But the only TR TOB failure I've ever had in some 35 years was a replacement (of unknown origin) that got installed by accident. The originals seem to last forever.

Which kind of makes sense if you think about how little work that bearing does. It turns only when your foot is on the clutch, and carries only a few hundred pounds of force.