• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch-related noise

Country flag
While driving today I noticed a new noise: A faint but constant whining/purring sound that is present when the clutch pedal is NOT depressed, whether in neutral or in gear and whether in motion or sitting still. When I depress the clutch pedal the sound goes away. Clutch and transmission operation seem normal. BTW I have a Toyota five-speed with a BJ8 diaphragm clutch.

Thoughts please?

OP
Michael Oritt
Country flag
Bob--

I was under the impression--perhaps mistaken--that failing throwout bearings became noisy when they were engaged (clutch in). Am I wrong?

D

Deleted member 8987

T/O bearings can do either. However, if the arm is fully retracted, and no contact, not the T/O bearing. My guess is input bearing on transmission or layshaft bearings.

Country flag
Bob--

I was under the impression--perhaps mistaken--that failing throwout bearings became noisy when they were engaged (clutch in). Am I wrong?

Usually (my reading comprehension failed me). But, not being familiar with the toy box, I took a SWAG. Will add to TOC's comment that the engine thrust washers may be an issue (are you sure the noise is coming from the gearbox?).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think it is the pilot bearing . However I never experienced this.

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
The pilot bearing is not involved when the clutch is engaged. I think it is the layshaft bearings plus all the bearings supporting the gears turning on the mainshaft that that are all spinning whenever the clutch is engaged. You can hear this noise on most cars with manual transmissions in neutral when it is otherwise quiet with the engine at idle speed. If it gets loud, look for problems in one or more of the many internal bearings or bushings inside the transmission.

Or just turn up the radio and motor on! Opps, forgot that most Healeys don't have radios.....

OP
Michael Oritt
Country flag
Bill--No, I don't have a radio but I can turn off my hearing aids.

morgib

Freshman Member
You will probably notice it "worse" in neutral and low gear vs higher gears, it will be a worn trans input shaft bearing.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
I'm sure that these guys know what they are talking about. But I would first check the oil level in the transmission, if you have not already done so.

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
What BJ8 pressure plate are you using? I had one with three tabs holding the releases bearing contact ring. One of the tabs snapped causing a misalignment of surfaces until pressure was applied by stepping on the clutch pedal. Worked fine, and only noticed the problem when I was pulling the engine and separated the gearbox.
Can you get a look inside with one of those new cameras?
Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You will probably notice it "worse" in neutral and low gear vs higher gears, it will be a worn trans input shaft bearing.

My thoughts too but I called it a Pilot bearing

OP
Michael Oritt
Country flag
All--

Thanks for the input (no pun intended) and various suggestions. I went for a short ride again today and while the noise is still there I cannot pin down its sourcem though it does seem to be up coming from around the front of the transmission tunnel. FWIW it does not seem to be related to engine/transmission speed and sounds the same in neutral as at 70 mph.

As I said over on the Healey newsgroup it is possible that my hearing this noise is related to the fact that I have only recently started driving with side curtains on and sliding window closed due to temps, and I might simply be hearing something that has been there for a while.

My feeling is that I am not going to pull either the engine or transmission unless things get noticeably different and if it is a failed transmission bearing, or even a thrust bearing I think it would make itself quite evident as it deteriorates. Then again I will probably be dropping the pan to check out oil pump and main bearings to follow up on the oil pumps inability to prime itself and general decrease in oil pressure (it has been about 50 K since last rebuild) and depending upon what I find the engine may come out for a different reason.

I'll keep an eye/ear on things and definitely post about any changes, etc. Thanks again for all of the feedback and in answer to Bob's question I simply cannot remember what BJ8 clutch I used--in fact I did not know there was more than one.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Michael
If you were not kidding about hearing aids it is possible in the closed car environment to:
1] cause feedback
2] hear a noise that was previously masked by the more open car environment.

OP
Michael Oritt
Country flag
Keoke--

I was serious about the hearing aids and often turn them off when I am driving as the world is a nicer place. That said, the noise to which I referred is real, though it may have always been there.