• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cleaning convertible top

auggie

Freshman Member
Hi to all,

When I purchased my 60A I received a convertible top and tonneau cover which are materially sound but quite dirty. I have tried the normal cleaners, but short of power washing them I have not been able to get them presentable. What have you fellows found that works well?

Also, is there a product on the market that can remove the yellowing on the rear window?

Thanks.
Auggie

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Are the tops dirty, stained, or just weathered? What color?

I've used the liquid shoe polish on old tops (black) to make them look nice.

Novus makes a plastic polish. I've not used it on the rear windows, but have used it on other plastic, and it works quite well.

OP
A

auggie

Freshman Member
Sorry, it is a white top, no stains or weathering, just dirty.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Ok. Assuming you've already tried various cleaners and a stiff brush, the next step might be something like OxiClean.

They do also make the liquid shoe polish in white, though I'm not sure that would work as well as on a black top.

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I used a product called white lightning available at Lowes and likely other places worked well with liberal scrubbing. Make sure to get complete coverage and wash off thoroughly. Make sure that the top is completely dry before storing it or it'll mold in a hurry. For the window I found that a plain tooth paste (white old school colgate) worked quite well. Rub it on the dry window really well and clean of with a wet rag, it may take a couple of times.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I had a white top on my Healey that cleaned off pretty well with 409 cleaner and lots of scubbing. I would think one of those oxy-clean type carpet cleaners would work well too.

As far as the window, I have used Meguires plastic polish and plastic cleaner (actually somewhat misnamed, as the cleaner has the more agressive abrasive formula, it is the one that will take the yellowing and minor scratches off.) can be used, I have had good luck with it, maybe doesn't restore to as new, but certainly to a usable clarity. Lots of elbow grease required.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
There was a thread awhile back on cleaning a white tonneau/top. I'm thinking it was lacquer thinner that proved to be the right stuff but don't take my word for it, better to find the thread.

I have cleaned up a bad window with a chrome polish called Simichrome (before plastic polishes were so commonly available) though I have also used some of the commonly available plastic polishes on scratches with amazing results.

PeterK

Yoda
My favorite all purpose plastic/rubber/vinyl cleaner is Westley's Bleche-White tire cleaner. I use it with a soft brush to get into the texture in the material and get it super clean. Rinse thoroughly. For finish and UV protectant, I use Lexol Vinylex both inside and outside of the car.