• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Cleaning a gas tank with muriatic acid....

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
...how long do you let it sit before it does it's work?...I diluted a 4 litre jug ...4 parts water to 1 part acid....took safety precautions.

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
I bought a Eastwood gas tank cleaning and sealing kit and the instructions say to use a diluted muriatic solution3 ozs. MA to 60 ozs. water to make 1/2 gallon of 20:1 water to MA solution. "slosh" on all internal surfaces (approx. 5 to 10 minutes) repeat until all rust is gone. I have decided not to use the sealer since my tank looks pretty good.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
With a muriatic acid solution you'll need to fill the tank completely to the lip for it to work properly and let it sit for at least a few full days , flush and repeat with a slightly stronger solution. Just sloshing it around will cause rust to acclerate where it is not completely immersed as it will be exposed to air. Remember it's FeO2 , rust needs oxygen. immersing it allows the acid to reverse the loose bond the rust has with the steel. Always wear a charcoal filtered mask around muriatic acid and have a hose ready to rinse for safety.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
With a muriatic acid solution you'll need to fill the tank completely to the lip for it to work properly and let it sit for at least a few full days , flush and repeat with a slightly stronger solution. Just sloshing it around will cause rust to acclerate where it is not completely immersed as it will be exposed to air. Remember it's FeO2 , rust needs oxygen. immersing it allows the acid to reverse the loose bond the rust has with the steel. Always wear a charcoal filtered mask around muriatic acid and have a hose ready to rinse for safety.

That's good to know. I hadn't filled the tank completely. It's actually a layer of"varnish"?...not so much rust I'm trying to deal with.Not sure if the acid will deal with this but we'll see.Wonder how many of those small baking soda boxes I'm going to need to neutralize the tank. Would it be a good idea to pressure wash inside the tank after this process and dry with compressed air?

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I've been using less aggressive chemicals like Evapo Rust for gas tanks ( I did an MGA and a TC tank last ) for this reason but I think that repeated filling and rinsing of the tank with fresh water should neutralize the acid not to mention that you need to thoroughly rinse all the rust out of the tank . I've used Johnson's tank liner with great results on a freshly cleaned tank.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
MEK solvent will soften varnish in the tank. Follow the safety concerns for a highly flammable solvent. Rinsing the tank with MEK once its been rinsed will prep and dry the inner surface perfectly for a liquid tank liner - like Johnsons.