• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Christmas Present

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I received this (bought it for myself) for Christmas from eBay. I just had to have it. The face is just a photo of the speedo dial, it isn't dished like the original, but the shadowing gives a lifelike image. I smile when I look at the watch and realize the Chinese can do remarkable things when copying artwork. Haven't had it long enough to tell if it will last, but for the price, the quality is pretty amazing.
Have to admire the marketing approach of the seller on eBay. You can buy the watch for $.99 to $5.00 but when you factor in shipping, they all cost $17.00. Shipping time was about 3 weeks.
When I visited China in 2008, I passed on the opportunity to purchase a Rolex for $3.00, but I just had to have this one.
Wishing you all an exciting New Year.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 201

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
Looks like an early 100, silver background rather than gold, yet your dash shown looks like a 100-6 or later car. Not sure when the transition from silver to gold took place. Wonderful watch, love the look of it..

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rick, that would be perfect. Speaking of wrist watches, I've noticed many Millieals don't wear them, relying instead on their ever-present smart phones. I was thinking wrist watches would go the way of pocket watches until I visited a local Middle school to help with vision testing and discovered many of the 7th and 8th grade boys were wearing dressy analog wrist watches. I guess this is a case of the merry-go-round making another revolution.

turtle

Yes the young-ins are a bit watch-phobic but I've noticed that a few of my fellow GenXers (of the male persuasion) are serious watch collectors. I know one guy who spent twice as much on one watch as I did in buying my Healey. It wasn't even a Rolex. It was a Breitling and is huge. I like your eBay find better!

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I see they also sell a Mark III version. Not as exciting as the Gold face version of the early 3000. To bad they didn't used the tachometer with it's colorful red line area. It would have made a more interesting watch face I think.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Mine is being shipped today......!!! May get an e-type one if this one is worth it...

Pete

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
I got the AH watch today, it's similar to the one you got but the quality is not the same, mine has 6 hands, 3 real and 3 hands are in the picture on the dial. Oh well, i'll give it to my AH buddy as a gift.

Attachments

• AHwatch.jpg
    AHwatch.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 110
OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Now that's very strange. Do you think this could be very valuable like those rare stamps and coins that are misprinted or misstamped? It could be worth at least twice what you paid for it, so that could be as much as $6.00.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What is the graphic just above the center of the dail? Looks almost like a 1960's Rallye plate like they used for the Monte Carlo and Rome-Liges-Rome. Maybe you've got a racing version with extra non-functional hands.
BTW, mine is still working after 2 weeks......

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
Round 2

Decided to take the chance and order another watch. This one looks better and doesn't have 6 hands.

Attachments

• IMG_20170131_162537.jpg
    IMG_20170131_162537.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 88
OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Interestingly, your version, my version and the ones currently on ebay all show different odometer and trip milage readings. Strange since the face is only a photo. They must have taken shots of multiple speedos or have good photoshop skills. Mine must be much newer since the milage shown is only 2,459 but then again my version only has an odometer read-out up to four digits. So maybe it's turned over several times.......
Here is another version which is very gold faced....that makes 3 versions for the early 3000 cars. Who new there would be that much demand for a speedo which was only used for 6-8 years on a low production number car.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 81

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Interestingly, your version, my version and the ones currently on ebay all show different odometer and trip milage readings. Strange since the face is only a photo. They must have taken shots of multiple speedos or have good photoshop skills. Mine must be much newer since the milage shown is only 2,459 but then again my version only has an odometer read-out up to four digits. So maybe it's turned over several times.......
Here is another version which is very gold faced....that makes 3 versions for the early 3000 cars. Who new there would be that much demand for a speedo which was only used for 6-8 years on a low production number car.

So how do you tell time with that thing? Is it 140 minutes after 90 o'clock? :jester:

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The early 3000 model I have only goes to 120. I think you'll need to get the BJ8 version to get the 140 read out. On my watch it's now 120 past 20. I wonder if the red high beam light will glow when the battery begins to die. Or that would probably be the ignition light on the Tachometer model. I wonder if they come out with that soon........