• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Changing fuel

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I acquired my `67 over 20 years ago. It had not run in more than 15 years prior. I pushed it on a flatbed and drove home. For the next three hours I checked over everything and managed to get motor running on one carb. Surprised impressed and glad there was some life to work with. Over the next month I went in depth thru every issue there was. Even tho the car never was restored or even made look pretty, I did get it mechanically sound and very reliable.

From the first tank I used aviation fuel. I know bad things happen when you let gas get old. Over the next few years I got lazy and regular pump gas became the norm. Then I did the dirty. It sat for a few years. I got it running again without much issue. But again in more recent years I let it sit up again with pump gas. Not very smart. It trashed out the carbs and rest of fuel system. Tank was caked up, fuel sending unit was dissolving, diaphragm in carbs had disintegrated and fuel pump died.

It took the a couple of years just tinkering and making excuses but finally go it back up going again last Christmas. Every time I got it almost finished, something else needed to be addressed. I rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, fuel sending unit, and the brake hydraulics. Even had to change the rusted out freeze plugs. Tumbled the gas tank with gravel on cement mixer.

This weekend I finally got it changed back over to avgas. Last year was the first time I managed to actually tune the carbs correctly. The car started right up most of the time when cold without any choke. If it sat around too many weeks a little bit of choke was required, but would start right back up without delay.

I changed the fuel and drove around. First thing I noticed was idle now lower than had ever been. Acting like running rich or needle was sticking/leaking. But fuel pump did not keep running on and no drain on floor. I was pulling it back in the barn and had to leave, so didnt get to check anything out.

My question is, could the difference be caused from the fuel change? I had to hold the gas pedal down to get it to fire back up every time. Never had to do this before. If it is running way too rich now without garbage for fuel, might cause this, or I have something else to chase down.

I plan to lean down the carbs and see if there is a change or not. If corrects the problem, then good. Otherwise I will be scratching my head for some other possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Check your spark plugs if they are black with a soft sooty deposite then you are running rich - nut brown -- nice.

:cheers:

Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This weekend I finally got it changed back over to avgas.

Why are you running avgas in Texas and what was the octane??

OP
F

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Octane is 110 at sea level. I hate the shelf life of pump gas. Everything I own takes a dump over very short periods of time because gas goes bad. I even retired my favorite `78 F250 because the carb was actually dissolving from this fantastic gas. Replaced it with a slightly newer F250 diesel.

I got a chance to pop the hood today. All it took was about 1/2 turn out of the air bleed screws and idle came up and smoothed out. Let my uncle drive it all day without issue. I still think the main jets will need some minor adjustments too. But she runs well enough for now.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Octane is 110 at sea level. I hate the shelf life of pump gas. Everything I own takes a dump over very short periods of time because gas goes bad. I even retired my favorite `78 F250 because the carb was actually dissolving from this fantastic gas. Replaced it with a slightly newer F250 diesel.

I got a chance to pop the hood today. All it took was about 1/2 turn out of the air bleed screws and idle came up and smoothed out. Let my uncle drive it all day without issue. I still think the main jets will need some minor adjustments too. But she runs well enough for now.

Maybe you need to move house to: The Woodlands, TX-------:friendly_wink: