Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I am planning on purchasing a header for my TR6 soon. I have read that ceramic coating is the optimal way to go. Would like to know your thoughts, pros and cons. Also, where would be the best place to get one coated? Thanks.
Pros are it will look better, last longer and run cooler.
Con is it is more money thrown at the Triumph that could have been used toward her new kitchen or cruise.
Ever thought about that the coated tubes will get too hot and die earlier? Several friends with coated or isolated headers had holes after 2 or 3 years of use. At the bended parts the steel fails from the overheating.
My header is made from AISI 304L inox steel. It doesn't rust. It turns a little blue after a while.
I never would coat a header that is in a sports or race car.
I had this header done with ceramic coating by my local powder coater for about $60 (then decided not to use it). He also did a grey coating on my exhaust manifold.
Ever thought about that the coated tubes will get too hot and die earlier? Several friends with coated or isolated headers had holes after 2 or 3 years of use. At the bended parts the steel fails from the overheating.
My header is made from AISI 304L inox steel. It doesn't rust. It turns a little blue after a while.
I never would coat a header that is in a sports or race car.
I had this header done with ceramic coating by my local powder coater for about $60 (then decided not to use it). He also did a grey coating on my exhaust manifold.
Ever thought about that the coated tubes will get too hot and die earlier? Several friends with coated or isolated headers had holes after 2 or 3 years of use. At the bended parts the steel fails from the overheating.
My header is made from AISI 304L inox steel. It doesn't rust. It turns a little blue after a while.
I never would coat a header that is in a sports or race car.
Unfortunately, I had a similar experience Jeff with at least 4 sets of headers.
After about 50k miles in 4 years (I actually drive my LBC), including a lot of hard driving up and through the Rocky Mountains, my headers that were both flow coated and ceramic coated, blew through. I took them back to the coater and got a full reimbursement on the coating costs.
Note that the coating warranty usually exclude racing applications.
Sure, if I don't drive my car except on and off a trailer, and maybe a few hundred miles a year to stay under your insurance quota, coated headers will last many years and maintain a bright luster.
So I guess the question is, in your experience, how many miles do you drive in those 15 years, and what is your definition of "using them"??
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.