• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cataract surgery

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Anyone had cataract surgery done? How long does it take for the eye to clear up from the foggy vision? Just had one eye done and it's worse than it was when I went in!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Paul - I've had both eyes done, about ten years ago, two months apart. Cloudy for the rest of the day, then gradually clearing during the next two days. I don't recommend having both eyes done at the same time! Was amazed at how much better my sight was with the cloudy lens out, and the new lens in.

Tom M.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mine has been almost two years I do not remember more than 24 hours and second eye in 30 days was the same. I had the up grade for clear vision at distance but can see dash clearly. What I did not realize was how much of my side vision I had lost over the years ( 75 now ) It is like I can see ear to ear now. The best part is driving top down and sunglasses and night driving much less glare.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It'll clear up, Paul. Had both done (one at a time) back in '05. Remarkable improvement. Had 20/20 for a year before a retinal detachment in the left one, wearing a scleral buckle there. Just before the virus struck the right side suffered a "subluxation" (lens shifted out of alignment) and the corrective surgery is still pending. But the IOL proceedure is well worth it!

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Had my left eye done December 2019. Seem to remember it took a couple of weeks to settle down completely. As I had the distance correction lenses I could drive without glasses for the first time in my life. I need correction so I can see the instruments. I am 20/20 in my left eye now.
I noticed the difference much more than I did when I had the right one done some years ago. At that time I had a goodish left eye so the improvement in the right was not so noticeable. Now I have a right eye that is not so good (not cataract surgery related) so when the left one was done and the swelling went down I was amazed the difference it made.

David

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul - just wondering here ... when did you have the cataract surgery done?
Wednesday !! Seems the fog is slowly clearing up a bit. Can't believe how many eye drops I have to take during the day. :rolleyes2: Trip today to the eye doctor for evaluation. Surly need a glasses change.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I went without glasses till the eye settled down and they could do an eye test to get my new prescription. When they did my right eye had that lenses removed from my glasses because I still needed correction for my left eye.

David

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
After having cataract done for distance and driving I just get cheep readers more for eye protection with hand work and computers. As I got older needed glasses all day near and far now just dirty in my pocket most of the time. MF

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Had the eye exam this morning, my doctor is very pleased with the work done at Triade. The eye is clearing up pretty fast but will take a week before the doctor says it'll be almost to normal. Believe it or not, I'm sitting here writing and reading it without my glasses, the first time in over twenty years! And it's not completely healed yet! :bananawave:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If someone is in need of cataract surgery but is leery about having it done, here's what my experience was.
I never had this explained to me before about the procedure of cataract surgery, it would have eased my mind quite a bit!
I spent about 3 hours going through quite a few tests, getting eye drops one after another, wide-angle vision tests etc, there for about 3 and a half hours. When all testing was done they set me up on another day for the surgery. This is the part no one ever told me about and I was very nervous on that day! Who wants someone probing in their eyes, scary right, well don't let it bother you, here's why. On the day of surgery, you will be taken into a preparation room by a nurse, you will be given half a dozen eye drops, prepped for intravenous injection, wired up to a monitor, then taken into the procedure room. While there the nurses, who by the way are so friendly and nice and explain everything they are doing, at that point they put what felt like a heavy dark pillow over my eye and what seemed to be a second or two, they removed the "pillow" and the nurse said " your done Mr. Jennings, you can set up now and step down from the bed. The actual time was about 15 minutes. I didn't know a thing about what happened except it was all over. A little discomfort the first day of the procedure, after a good night's sleep I felt little to no discomfort and blurred vision but as the day progressed the vision cleared up quite a bit. I actually drove to my eye doctor for his evaluation. I am typing this without my glasses for the first time in over 20 years! If you need it, don't hesitate, GET IT DONE!!! (y)(y)

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think a few of us said that... ;)

When you look at trees and sky, the colors are so much more vivid that before too.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - that's pretty much my own experience. Positive 100% with no problems. I'd asked other cataract surgery folks beforehand, so didn't have any fears.

Bravo!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I think a few of us said that... ;)

When you look at trees and sky, the colors are so much more vivid that before too.
Doc, I'm so impressed with how my right eye came out, in two weeks I'm having my eye doctor set up another appointment with Triad Eye Institute to have the left eye done when they say I can.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Wife just had her second eye done a few months ago. No problems. Me? I have an "incipient cataract" in my right eye that has never progressed. My eyesight at 87 is better now than it was 10 years ago. I can actually drive without glasses although I did get a new pair of reading glasses with prisms because my eyes don't work together.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
They just scheduled me for the other eye in two weeks, I can't wait! I have worn glasses for the last 40 years and because the right eye is now 20/20, very close to 20/15 as of this morning, my doctor called Triad to schedule me for the right eye to be done. Very possible I won't need glasses anymore, maybe for reading fine print that's all, I can surely live with that! Hard to believe how vivid the colors are now and the sky is really blue not a bluish-grey. Modern medicine you can't beat it! đź‘Ť

Last edited:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I had realized how bad my left eye was getting when I would compare the colour of a sheet of white paper first with my right eye then my left eye. The left eye still had the cataract and the sheet of paper was getting darker yellow tint to it.

David

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The only thing that's annoying is the eye drops and how many times a day they have to be taken. Figure about a month of taking them, I take 4 different prescriptions 4 times a day! Can't wait until they're over. But saying that, it's all worth it! đź‘Ť