• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Castrol Girling Amber Brake Fluid vs. Silicone

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just my opinion, but I'd use the Castrol.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I run silicone on mine - but I would use castrol - I replaced my entire system and rebuilt the MC and slave - I am not sure flushing would get the mineral based stuff out enough - stick with what you know.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
For whatever reason we had a hard time finding Castrol Girling fluid in any of the "chain" parts stores recently. Found a reliable source in of all places, a Harley-Davidson dealership. Had to order it in pint bottles, by the case tho. Not a hardship in that the contents remain sealed until use. πŸ‘

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I'm gonna move this to the Healey forum where other AH 3000 drivers might see it. I'll leave a "pointer" to the thread in the Pub for a while.

If you're reading this now, you are in the Austin Healey forum.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Flushing, except for the hard lines, won't clean out the system sufficiently. You will have to change all the rubber pieces. The good news is that silicone is a really good preservative for them.

I run silicone, and went to it 20 years ago when I totally rebuilt my system. (OK, the whole car.) I will never go back.

Last edited:
Country flag
I've never heard of 'Castrol Girling,' but some searching only got more confusing (why list 'mineral oil' with BF?):

Here's a real doozy:

"What can be used as a substitute for brake fluid?

The best brake fluid substitute is a water and soap solution. A water and soap solution is the best emergency substitute for brake fluid is because it is very easy to make. Many people have water and soap in their cars or homes."

I have Castrol 'synthetic*' LMA in my BN2, and silicone in my BJ8 for over 30 years. You can't go wrong with either, but IMO silicone is best when installed after a total system rebuild (my dad put DoT4 in the BN2 after a total rebuild; I would have gone with silicone).

* Castrol calling their BF 'synthetic' is a bit specious, as there is no natural source that I know of for the glycols BF consists of.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I run silicone in the TF, but I replaced the whole system with new, including the lines. Three years running and just checked the fluid and it is still full and clean. Show in Arkansas tomorrow with the TF, can't wait! :cool:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
If you have an Amazon account, available. I have been able to buy at my local parts store or I order online at my Rover/MINI online parts store

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've never heard of 'Castrol Girling,' but some searching only got more confusing (why list 'mineral oil' with BF?):

Mineral oil based brake fluid is used in many of the Rolls Royce cars into the '80's.

Dandare

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I notice a lot of posts from the US cite Castrol LMA. That seemed to disappear a few years ago in Australia and became Castrol Response. Just a bit of useless information!

Danny

Country flag
I notice a lot of posts from the US cite Castrol LMA. That seemed to disappear a few years ago in Australia and became Castrol Response. Just a bit of useless information!

Danny

Old habit. This is all I've seen in the 'States for a few years:

I presume they call it synthetic to differentiate from mineral oil BF (and soapy water).

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I had the white bottles of the Castrol LMA and bought a newer car that recommended synthetic, so I proceeded to look it up and saw black bottles. Ordered two, then upon receiving them I compared the white and black bottles. Duh, both the same synthetic. I exclusively use in all my cars, including my track MINI S, with no problems. I have used silicone only in newly refurbished brakes on show cars, at customer request only, not a cheap job.