• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carpet Set Questions

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Happy Father's Day to all you dads!

It's time to install the new carpets in the BJ7. I got a carpet set from the boys in Southern California but it came with no instructions at all, just a list/diagram of the pieces that are supplied naming where they go. There is also a bag of snaps, but only 12 of them. Again no indication of where they go.

My car has all new floor pans so I can't see where snaps had been previously installed, except on the fiberglass transmission cover. Could someone please list where the snaps are supposed to be installed? I would assume that they would go on the floor carpets as they would be the ones you would most likely remove for cleaning.

Also, how are the carpets that don't have jute backing pieces attached? Glue? I'm talking about the ones on the door sills, rear bulkhead, under the rear seat pans, etc.

Griz

Country flag
Well, I kind of winged it myself, but I used four (4) snaps per front floor carpet (the invisible "ringed" kind) and ultimately went with about 6-7 on the trans tunnel, to keep it taut.

You might get some ideas here, or at least what not to do... https://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/Healey-at-home/Interior_Makeover

It starts off with seats, but carpets & panels included too.

Yes, the uninsulated pieces are glued to the steel. Use an industrial strength contact adhesive, ideally sourced through an upholstery dealer; if you can dedicate a cheap spray gun to apply it, so much the better, though I used a brush.

I spray-painted the topside of the carpet snaps to better blend in with the color.

IMG_0602.jpg

The snap is immediately above the "y Fo" in my watermarked name/date. Appears that I have six (6) snaps on that piece...

IMG_2908.jpg

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Randy. I see the chrome screws with the fancy washers holding your kick panels in place. Are those placed "at your discretion" too?

Country flag
Thanks Randy. I see the chrome screws with the fancy washers holding your kick panels in place. Are those placed "at your discretion" too?
I'm pretty picky about symmetry, so while they may be at my discretion, they're not randomly placed ;)

In the beginning of this ground up restoration, one of the things I did was to weld up every sheetmetal screw hole; most had been stripped out, some one or two sizes up from the original root diameter. Clausanger's (sp?) pictures, among a myriad of other references, helped and amazingly enough, some placings I remembered (restoration spanned approximately twenty-one__21__years).

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
According to the Moment/Anderson book, there are 4 snaps per front carpet, 2 per rear carpet. I don't think the ones for the rear are really needed. On my BT7 with side shift and steel gearbox cover, there are 6 snaps for the covering carpet; 2 per side on the cover itself, and one each side on the prop shaft tunnel. Don't know if the center shift fiberglass cover would have the same number.

D

Duane_Rhynard

Griz,

Picture of the 5 original kick panel screw hole locations:

holes.jpg

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
All good info guys. I've got a box of those chrome screws with the fancy washers, and like you Randy I'm a stickler for symmetry and will be measuring to see that all match the opposite side of the car. I'm probably going to have to install snaps on several more carpet pieces than the floor carpets. I've insulated the entire foot wells with foil-faced foam (except for where kick-panels go), so I cannot glue them into place...or are these held in place with the same kick-panel screws?

Griz

D

Duane_Rhynard

All good info guys. I've got a box of those chrome screws with the fancy washers, and like you Randy I'm a stickler for symmetry and will be measuring to see that all match the opposite side of the car. I'm probably going to have to install snaps on several more carpet pieces than the floor carpets. I've insulated the entire foot wells with foil-faced foam (except for where kick-panels go), so I cannot glue them into place...or are these held in place with the same kick-panel screws?

Griz

Griz,

I have the BJ7 body service parts list (AKD 3524) that shows all of the fasteners and their individual quantities for the carpet, kick panels, gearbox, etc. I've attached an excerpt below (I'm limited on file size by the forum). If you (Or anyone else) would like all 8 pages that are easily read, PM me your email address, and I'll send all of the pages to you! (I have both the BJ7 and BJ8 diagrams).

Thanks,
Duane

page7small.jpg

page8small.jpg

Last edited: