• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carpet Adhesive

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Is there any recommended adhesive for applying new carpet to our Bs? I was looking at the carpet kit I nabbed off eBay, and the backing seems too course for 3M trim adhesive to do a good job.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Rob, isn't the carpet meant to be installed with snaps, rather than glued in? I don't have a "B", but all my other Brit carpet snaps in. When it gets wet, I can remove it to dry.
Jeff

Steve_S

Yoda
I'm not sure about late models but earlier Bs have snaps. I covered my sills in carpet rather than the stock rubber and for that I used 3M spray. If it isn't strong enough for you, use 3M Fast Tack. That won't come off... ever.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmm... now that you guys mention it. I do have two snaps on the drivers floor board, on the passenger's floor boar, and 3 or four snaps on the package shelf. As far as other snaps for all the other pieces of carpet, haven't seen any for behind the seats, or to hold the pieces up on any of the vertical surfaces.

Tony (or anyone else that might know for that matter)- The Moss "carpet fasteners" (PN 226-338) are listed as "as fitted" with "A/R" for the quantity required. Does this mean that each snap that gets attached to the carpet has to be purchased individually? I don't have any of the originals left. The floorboard pieces were gone long ago as was the package shelf piece.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
I have some as well, if Steve runs out. You get three pieces per "snap", as I recall... a round black pronged thingy that installs through the carpet, a triangular collar to secure prongs from aformentioned thingy on the carpet bottom, and the snap riveted to the floor itself.

Free for the asking, assuming I can find them (edit: found them).

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
Rob,
There are snaps for some of the sections, but according to the instructions, there are pieces to glue in.

make sure you use the 3M "90"

If the kit did not come with instructions, I can email you a set. They are vague, but better then nothing.

Rob

R6MGS

Yoda
The main floor sections are held in with snaps...but the sills, and a few peices behind the seats have to be glued in. 3M spray adhesive should work fine....sometimes i double coat it so it doesn't soak in as much.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I have instructions that came with my kit. However, it only details a recommended installation order for each of the pieces. It made no recommendations for adhesives and no mention of snaps.

Thanks for the info all.

Steve_S: How many of those snaps do you have? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think I need the ones for the package shelf piece, and the two floor pieces for the driver and passenger foot wells.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
If you can find the 3m auto vinal roof glue or general trim adhesive you shoudl be good but once its stuck have fun getting it off. I tried the 3m 90 and was highly disapointed. The 3m super 77 worked ok but was not the strongest of bonds.

Your local vatozone should carry the stuff. And watch out for thoes snaps as the sharp pointy pieces blend into the carpet and will perice the skin like its warm butter.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
is there a purpose built tool for installing those snaps on the carpet?

R6MGS

Yoda
check ebay for the tool....I got one for around $9.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
what's the alternative, slip joint pliers or smooth duck bill pliers?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What ever works for you.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
sweet! time to go get a blow torch then! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Oh wait... that just ~might~ ruin the carpet. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Really, I used a hole punch, and a screw driver. Might not have been quite the same as yours.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
jlaird said:
Really, I used a hole punch, and a screw driver. Might not have been quite the same as yours.

Me too. Special tool? Not sure we're all talking about the same thing... Veltex carpet clips:

fa541a.jpg

fa541.jpg

The ring goes topside, the chrome thing on the bottom. Find the center, poke a hole in the carpet with a needle, center the ring on the hole, push points through, bend the pointy things over. Remove needle. Done.

These folks have every trim clip imaginable for British cars: https://www.bresco.com